lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default ERIC Charger not working

2016 club car precedent. JE serial number. Charger It worked fine. Then it fell off a box like 2 ft to the floor and now none of the lights come on. Checked the power source. Checked the connection to the charger. I’m stressed. It didn’t even fall that hard. Any ideas on what to try before I replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBH015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
Camaro69
Gone Wild

Default Re: ERIC Charger not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBH015 View Post
2016 club car precedent. JE serial number. Charger It worked fine. Then it fell off a box like 2 ft to the floor and now none of the lights come on. Checked the power source. Checked the connection to the charger. I’m stressed. It didn’t even fall that hard. Any ideas on what to try before I replace it?

Can you take it apart to see if anything broke inside?
Camaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The only thing you can check on those is that the AC cord is properly connected and that the charger is getting AC power. Try a different AC cord if you have one with a similar end that will plug into the charger.
Otherwise, use it for a boat anchor and buy a Lester Summit II.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The only thing you can check on those is that the AC cord is properly connected and that the charger is getting AC power. Try a different AC cord if you have one with a similar end that will plug into the charger.

Will any AC cord (that fits) work? Nothing special? I see that Walmart has some universal ones. Would obviously like to try this before I use it as a boat anchor…
Old 05-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #5
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:

Well - the new power cord didn’t work, or didn’t cause the lights to come on. I do not have a voltage tester to check if it’s getting power. I can’t believe this thing croaked after falling 2 feet. That’s a major bummer.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro69 View Post
Can you take it apart to see if anything broke inside?

Don’t think so. The back of this thing says no serviceable parts.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 PM   #7
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I am seeing the Lester’s are around $400, the ERICs around $500. Do I have any other options? DPI? Can you explain the differences?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:07 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I concur. I see this a lot with the fleet carts on our golf courses. If they hit the floor, dead and unrecoverable.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
TBH015
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I concur. I see this a lot with the fleet carts on our golf courses. If they hit the floor, dead and unrecoverable.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will look to order a new one. :(

Old 05-22-2022, 06:46 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBH015 View Post
I am seeing the Lester’s are around $400, the ERICs around $500. Do I have any other options? DPI? Can you explain the differences?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the S2 is a higher quality charger than the ERIC.
More robust, better programming, more user adjustability with the Bluetooth app, and comes from one of if not the best companies in charging technology. Also comes with a 4 year warranty, which you will not find on any other charger.

That said, it can still be considered a throw-away charger as with every other “smart charger” on the market, because there are no serviceable parts inside. I’m not so sure that if you opened one you could even see anything other than the potting material they use to waterproof the board.

The main advantage you would have with a DPI or similar charger is user serviceable parts. You can open it up and replace the relay and control board, and any damaged wiring. The trade-off is that you really can’t change any of the settings, and they are still based on the old relatively inefficient, but generally bullet-proof, transformer technology.

Check with ScottyB at Cartsunlimited.net. He has the best prices I know of on the S2, and is a long time site sponsor and supporter of the BGW forums. I believe he still sells DPI chargers as well, so you could ask his opinion of the two as well.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car