lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
fishbones
Getting Wild

Default Best width for Mud Tires

Had some fun this weekend and thought I would bury my newly upgraded 94 DS.
Currently I am running 20x10-10 all terain tires which just filled with mud so I am looking at swapping those out with mud tires but cant decide on the width. Looking to jump up to 22" height. To me it seems narrower tires would go through the mud better. I am looking at either 22x8-10 or 22x11-10. Any advantages of one over the other?
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Best width for Mud Tires

The wider the tire, the harder it will be to turn when it gets in the thick stuff..

Especially if its a real aggressive tire
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

My thoughts are 22x8-10 in front and 22x11-10 in rear.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
fishbones
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallachera89 View Post
The wider the tire, the harder it will be to turn when it gets in the thick stuff..

Especially if its a real aggressive tire
That was one of my problems, I could not stear out of my ruts...... finally gave up and ran and got the tractor to drag it out
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
fishbones
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
My thoughts are 22x8-10 in front and 22x11-10 in rear.
Is that how you run them? If so, how does that work out. I plan to pull a few things with this cart so wider rears may have an advantage.

Also, any trouble rubbing on the 11 wide rears? I am running a Jakes 4" AArm lift with 5+3 offset wheels
Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
That was one of my problems, I could not stear out of my ruts...... finally gave up and ran and got the tractor to drag it out

Well that may have been one issue but to further that i meant when the rear tires get down in the mud and it requires some power, a wider tire will be harder for the motor to spin also
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There are 2 schools of thought on tire width.Wide Tires float,while narrow ones tend to Bite in more(which turns better).I run wide tires on the front,I've found that when running at speed,and hitting mud or water-holes,the narrow tires would allow the front to plow-in,where the wider tires try to stay on top,and I can blast thru the same holes with ease.We tried it on several different carts,with both combos,and each time the wide ones were our choice.Also,remember that a more aggressive tire needs more power to spin,and at the same time,an A/T type tread needs more wheel-speed to keep it cleaned out,which can be an issue with stock-ish carts.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
fishbones
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
There are 2 schools of thought on tire width.Wide Tires float,while narrow ones tend to Bite in more(which turns better).I run wide tires on the front,I've found that when running at speed,and hitting mud or water-holes,the narrow tires would allow the front to plow-in,where the wider tires try to stay on top,and I can blast thru the same holes with ease.We tried it on several different carts,with both combos,and each time the wide ones were our choice.Also,remember that a more aggressive tire needs more power to spin,and at the same time,an A/T type tread needs more wheel-speed to keep it cleaned out,which can be an issue with stock-ish carts.Hope this helps.
Yes, that does help, makes alot of sense actually.
Thanks
My A/T tires are pretty aggressive with deep lugs but not self cleaning. I had just adjusted my throttle settings down to a torque setting I was messing with which may have hurt me in this scenario. Cart is all upgraded except the old series motor. I have a new D&D High Torque motor on the way so it should handle the more aggressive tires.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
fishbones
Getting Wild

I was looking at going 22x7-10 on the rears and 22x11-10 on the fronts and really like the Swamp Fox tires but noticed that the narrower tire is only 1/2" tread where the wider is almost a full inch. Any other tire suggestions appreciated, also like the Kenda Bear Claw.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Don't go smaller on the rears. It'll look goofy.

You want as much meat as possible to transfer torque to the ground. 7" wide rears will break traction too easily; plus, like I said, it'll look goofy.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts