lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 electric Club Car no power

I have an 87 electric Club Car DS. It seems to drain the battery very fast. The batteries are new but it will only last anout 200 to 300 yards. It does'nt want to pull any type hill, it will slow to a crawl then stop. It is a 36 volt system but this is just not right. any clues where I can start?
jhamil25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 87 electric Club Car no power

what type of batteries and are you sure they are wired correctly?
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I went out and put the charger on the cart. I am reading 38.3 volts with the charger off and 43.4 with the charger on. The needle never went down below 4 amps but I watched it drop down to there. Should I go take it for a spin and check the voltage when it starts slowing down or stops?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

interstate deep cycle, and they are wired in series. They are only a few months old and I did a load test on them and they checked great.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

I bought this about 6 weeks ago and the guy said it wouldn't hold a charge but one of the batteries had a lose post so I thought it was a no brainer. I replaced that battery. The cart is in about 90% condition and you can tell it's been taken care of.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

hmmm yes get voltage on cart after it stops running and while running if possible and post results...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

As soon as I put a load on it the voltage dropped to 18v when I hit a hill it dropped to 15 volts until it stopped. When I shut it down the voltage came back up to around 35v. I checked the acid level and they are all full. The voltage dropping at the end battery posts would give me the idea that I had a bad battery or two. I should have checked the individual batteries to see if there was one that dropped more than the others. I'll go do that now.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

sounds like you've got your problem narrowed down at least...also check and make sure you dont have a bad cable as it can cause this drop as well...
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
jhamil25
Not Yet Wild

Well, you know those new batteries? well I put a floor jack under the back of the car and engaged the motor. all the batteries except the one I replaced droped from 6.2 to 4.4. The one I replaced stayed and there was no drop. So I have 5 bad batteries. Thanks for your help. Now where can I find a good price on batteries?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car