lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Smokinguntoo81
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 & 2014 EZGO RXV Front End "Clunk"

Seems as though many of the 2013 and 2014 EZGO RXV's were fitted with front shocks that were manufactured with plunger shafts that are too long. There is a "rubber damper doughnut" on the plunger shaft, however when you hit a bump that fully collapses the shock absorber, the shaft bottoms inside the shock body before the rubber damper can soften the blow. This is what causes the "clunk" noise.

Thankfully the fix is really simple and cheap. You can add an additional "rubber damper doughnut" ($3.60/pair) on top of the existing one. Just double up.

Remove the headlight to allow easy access to the top shock absorber bolt. Remove the 15mm nuts on both sides that hold the front bumper and remove it by sliding it out at the top and down to release it.
Removed the second 15mm nuts, washers and bolt (head is 15mm too) that will allow you to tilt the shock outward.
Compress the coil spring (I used a couple of pairs of vice grips).
There are wrench flats on the top of the shock absorber shaft and the top mounting eye is threaded and needs to be removed.
I had to grind down the thickness of a 15mm wrench to make it fit on the wrench flats of the shock plunger shaft.
That done, I held the shock shaft with the modified wrench and used a long skinny punch to unscrew the top shock mount (standard right hand thread).
Remove the top mount from the shock plunger shaft.
Removed the spring retainer disc.
Install the second rubber damper bushing on top of the old one.
Reassemble.
You're done. No more "clunk".

Smokinguntoo81
Smokinguntoo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2013 & 2014 EZGO RXV Front End "Clunk"

Nice write up👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
Smokinguntoo81
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cobra, 1.

I was just doing a search for my next problem when I saw your reply. I appreciate it.

There may be an error in what I was told by the dealer here. Either the plunger shaft of the shock absorber is too long OR THE SPRING COIL BINDS ON COMPRESSION. I haven't measured the compressed height of the spring - YET. The fix is still the same.

I have a 2013 RXV an use it for golf in a "golf cart community". What amazes me is that even a small mismatch in the cart path concrete will cause the shock to "bottom out".

That's telling me that the coil spring is insufficient. I am searching the forum for upgrade coil springs to overcome the issue. Haven't found them or a post about them yet.

Smokinguntoo81
Smokinguntoo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
steve33blair
Not Yet Wild

Can not find bushings for front shocks anywhere
steve33blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 11:46 PM   #5
rickter
Not Yet Wild

I tried this but still have a clunk... Any one else have an idea??? Thanks
rickter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #6
Rich427
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickter View Post
I tried this but still have a clunk... Any one else have an idea??? Thanks
Rickter, even though this didn't work for you, and since this is an old post, can you tell me where you found the rubber donut that goes on the shock absorber shaft?

I have posted on this site a few times over a couple years asking for help on this issue and this is the first post I have seen that tries to address it. I have a 2012 RXV and it is not lifted, but I am running 14" low profile tires and the clunk is driving me crazy. I do believe it is on the compressions stroke of the shock that is the issue. I am on my golf course with my cart 3 or 4 times a week, so it sees a lot of unlevel surfaces. On the paved road from my house to the club house is no issue. So, if you can share where you found the rubber donut to fit the shaft of these shocks I would appreciate it!

Thanks
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:03 PM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've never noticed this issue but, I'd replace both front struts, they are not expensive.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:23 PM   #8
rickter
Not Yet Wild

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CL6V1Z8T...t_details&th=1
rickter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2103. 2014, clunk, front end
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO