lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How long would she last?

If I put another 6V in my 36V marathon and ran it stock on 42V

Planning on doing a full 48V swap but might do this for fun to see what happens... It is all stock with a 24-36V curtis controller in it. As long as I won't cook the motor that is I plan to keep the stock motor for a while at least. The FNR switch is already on it's way out as it is and would have to be upgraded anyway.

Just a thought
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: How long would she last?

You'd smoke the controller I imagine. The motor will be fine, a stock 36 volt motor will run happily on 48 volts.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
You'd smoke the controller I imagine. The motor will be fine, a stock 36 volt motor will run happily on 48 volts.
I've seen some places that a 36V curtis will run at it's peak on 42V but others say no way... Guess it might be time to find out for sure Once she goes under the knife she's not coming out of surgery untill she's fully 48V or higher anyways with at least a 6" lift. I've even got a set of sand paddle tires I'm goinf to slap on it for some fun once she's done as well. Got have to find some sand I'll be OK until the beach police come
Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I agree, the controller would probably go pretty quick with the higher voltage.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The motor will take 72v unless you really off road it and load it up. Watch temp and it'll last at 72v for a long time.

The controller is a different story.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have seen stock 36v controllers run at 42v, by runnining the small "input" wires, keyswitch, ect off only 6 batts, and all 7 to the high current stuff. Sounds stupid, but i have seen them run for years like that. I never did it myself tho.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have seen stock 36v controllers run at 42v, by runnining the small "input" wires, keyswitch, ect off only 6 batts, and all 7 to the high current stuff. Sounds stupid, but i have seen them run for years like that. I never did it myself tho.
More info please!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The large cable went to the main positive giving 7 batts & 42v, all the small cables went to the positive terminal of the "next battery in" from the main 42v pos terminal, giving 36v to keyswitch wiring ect. You are gonna have to fuse the small wires to protect against any possible electrical faults causing fried wires. My preferred solution would be get a Alltrax controller to suit your performance needs, it can handle from 24-48v (max 60-62v depending on model chosen).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The large cable went to the main positive giving 7 batts & 42v, all the small cables went to the positive terminal of the "next battery in" from the main 42v pos terminal, giving 36v to keyswitch wiring ect. You are gonna have to fuse the small wires to protect against any possible electrical faults causing fried wires. My preferred solution would be get a Alltrax controller to suit your performance needs, it can handle from 24-48v (max 60-62v depending on model chosen).
If you upgrade from 36 to 48 volts, I see no need to do anything to the low amperage wiring. Are you concerned the 36 volt controller will "blow out its smoke", and take some wiring with it?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If it doesn't work you just smoked $150 controller easily sold on eBay.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO