lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
tamccluney
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo motor &/ or controller upgrade

I have a 2012 Ezgo TXT48 (Sepex) & looking to add a little speed & more torque for hills while camping. I知 looking into upgrading my motor to the Plum Quick Bandit (says I can get speed & torque increase) or an Alltrax 400 amp controller. Should I get one of the 2 or can I pair the 2 to get a bigger increase of speed & torque? I知 not worried about it going 25+ mph I知 really more in need of torque
tamccluney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ezgo motor &/ or controller upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamccluney View Post
I have a 2012 Ezgo TXT48 (Sepex) & looking to add a little speed & more torque for hills while camping. I知 looking into upgrading my motor to the Plum Quick Bandit (says I can get speed & torque increase) or an Alltrax 400 amp controller. Should I get one of the 2 or can I pair the 2 to get a bigger increase of speed & torque? I知 not worried about it going 25+ mph I知 really more in need of torque
You must upgrade the controller to get more torque. Your stock motor is already capable of more torque than you are getting with stock controller as your torque is limited by the number of amps the stock controller can supply.

Adding a higher performance motor without upgrading controller will not help you. A rough analogy would be replacing a 4 cylinder engine with a v-8 and keeping the stock carb from the 4 cylinder.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Our tests showed a 30% increase in torque with the Alltrax XCT control, plus 22-23 mph on stock size tires. Remember big tires can reduce torque by as much as 25%. Too big a tire is a ball and chain.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Upgrade the controller to an XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) first.
Then drive it for a while with the stock motor and you'll have a better idea of what motor to get.

Since you what more torque to climb the hills, look for a motor that is physically longer than the stock motor. For example, my motor is 1.25" longer than a stock 36V PDS motor and has 30% more than stock torque yet still has the same RPM as a stock motor with same volts applied.

Also, the nice thing about the XCT in sepex drive carts with speed sensors, you can turn down the max speed if it is too fast.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
tamccluney
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Our tests showed a 30% increase in torque with the Alltrax XCT control, plus 22-23 mph on stock size tires. Remember big tires can reduce torque by as much as 25%. Too big a tire is a ball and chain.
I have 20” tires without a lift
tamccluney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

20" overall diameter will be fine.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #7
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For torque motors I like the FSIP Torqueey (221-48VTORQUEEY). But, I went w/ a 5kw AC setup in my personal cart (was a 2004 PDS). Best balance of torque and speed.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There are advantages for AC that no DC motor can match. But, it's a very expensive transition (this is key here). Series carts with big amps can keep up, or win, off the line, in a "parking lot drag race". The current world record holder is a series motor (that likely lives a short life getting beat down every pass). I have built quicker "series" carts (quicker than rxv, not the world record holder), but they cost more to build compared to what could be done for less money with a Curtis rxv. The "baddest" 800a Series YDRE I built just barely beat a "tuned 350a rxv" in a drag race, the ezgo would have easily won for top speed. For the street, like all us "not world record holders", a AC system a hard to beat combo. Wether it's a tuned rxv, or a tuned HPEVS system (hpevs not available for rxv as far as I know). The thing they have in common is a AC motor & a Curtis controller. It costs bucks to do so, but it's hard to beat a AC system. Seen other benefits too. Saw a aftermarket conversion AC car still running 18 holes on a pack that barely met 1/3 of the standard battery test after 6 years of beat-down (I mean casual use, as you would expect). For a hotrod with the Ferrari stickers, that was good. I make zero guarantee/estimate yours will do the same, just similar cases I seen.

Sorry if I "elaborated" more than you wanted.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's all good real world information.
However this thread is typical of internet advice in any venue. A guy asks about a little more power for camp ground use for the least expense and he gets suggestions for a blower on his car and an AC conversion for the cart.

His original question was PQ bandit or controller upgrade. I'm assuming the budget is around $350 - $500 investment. The TXT48 has a long stack motor capable of making more torque than the stock controller allows. Anybody who has tried the Alltrax XCT400 in this cart will highly recommend this as a good way to get significantly more power and speed.
I doubt the bandit upgrade can match the XCT performance on hills given the stock controller and solenoid in use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
(hpevs not available for rxv as far as I know)
Isn't it the AC-9 HPEVS engine?

http://www.hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electr...king-brake.htm
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO