lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
shoresman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g2 restoration

if any of yall ever venture over to the electric yamaha section, you would see the thread i did on restoring a g1 electric cart. as a teaser ill show yall a before and after

before

after

anyways, traded it last night for this g2 gas powered cart and a shotgun lol. the g2 has some wiring issues, and im sure the carb is gummed up. but the motor spins over, just no fire to the plug. hopefully if its warm around here this weekend i can tear into it and get her fired up. needless to say, the plan is, new paint, classic golf cart white. new tires, redo the seat, not sure if im going to recover it myself like i did the last cart, or go with a new design. new top and just a few little touches to make it unique. advice is appreciated as this is my first gas cart.

shoresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 restoration

Good start for a good cart! Check out http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-diagrams.html for wiring help.

What you do TO your cart depends on what you plan to do WITH it. Street? Carry your golf clubs? Cross country? Hunting? Show? The other two major variables to consider are your skills and your $$$$.
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
shoresman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROUBADOUR View Post
Good start for a good cart! Check out http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-diagrams.html for wiring help.

What you do TO your cart depends on what you plan to do WITH it. Street? Carry your golf clubs? Cross country? Hunting? Show? The other two major variables to consider are your skills and your $$$$.
i already know what IM doing with MY cart. i was just simply asking for advice as far as common problems people have with g2's? and yes that wiring diagram is going to be my buddy for a while. lol. the nice thing is i have a full shop at my disposal. aka tig/mig welder, plasma, cnc mill, should get interesting lol. tonight i was thinking about a vinyl top. i think it would be kinda cool. and when i pulled it out of the back of my truck the top shattered . guess thats what happens to 20 yr old plastic when its 30 outside
Old 12-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
shoresman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

was able to do some work today. looks like im going to need a new harness. not sure if this one can be salvaged. and my ignitor is toast. one of the male plugs broke off inside the plug. after looking up what a new one cost i think im going to try and hardwire it into the harness. im simply going to solder the matching color wires to the board itself. then put quick connects on the other ends of the wire. anyone ever tried to salvage the board?

stripped the cart down a little

ready for paint prep

broken plug

other side

matching wire donated from an old car harness i had around
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
shoresman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

fixed the ignitor box. actually turned out better than i expected. if anyone wants a write-up w/ pics on how to do it i can. but its pretty self explanatory. heres the pix of start, middle, and finish. hopefully by tuesday ill be able to see if this is the only problem with the cart.

Ready for solder

other side. drilled a small hole where the broken plug was

solder the joint

plug other wires in, tape and done, ready for hardwire
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
jims72
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks for posting these pics! My ignitor box on my g2 filled with water and the two caps on the right corroded right off!I am gonna try and see if i can just re-solder new ones on and maybe add a couple jumpers too the traces if needed.if it dont work im gonna put a HEI ignition module off a 1978 chevy half ton on it and call it good.
jims72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Wow, cool repair and yes they are pricey. That thing actually idles at 0 degrees advance then ramps up to like 30 degrees at 2500rpm, the curve is in the manual. I've been wondering if I should try to make it work on my clone. The G2 version has a rev limit the G9 does not. I bet someone could figure out the circuit and disable the rev limit on the G2....
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
jims72
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well i can tell you i have figured out the HEI module will do just that and allow for a hotter spark fr better combustion.
jims72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'd love to see how to wire up the HEI. I've got a G2 and better spark is always welcome.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lot of people also use the old Ford ignition box to go electronic on projects. I don't know what ones have a curve in them, I know the early HEI still had advance weights in them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha