lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Improved handling and control

So I just added some large street tires (26" tall, 13" wide) to my street legal DS that has an Allsports 4-inch double A-arm lift installed.

After driving it at speed (30 - 45 mph), it was all over the place, with every little bump sending it in any direction. I adjusted the toe-in and the camber to specs and it didn't improve.

I then inspected everything and found that there is a ton of play in regards to the bushings - allowing for a lot of lateral movement. I replaced the soft rubber bushings with high quality urethane bushings and it was better but not much.

The main problem is that the brackets are too wide - allowing too much space between the bushings and the bracket (drawing #1).

If you torque the fasteners to spec, then it distorts the bracket and puts uneven pressure on the bushings (drawing #2) and still allows too much lateral play.

I was able to solve the issue by using stainless steel fender washers as shims to eliminate the excess play (drawing #3).

After lubing everything with silicone lube, torquing everything to spec, it handles MUCH better! Yesterday I got up to 51 mph and it handled just like a car - one handed driving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (658.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bushings.jpg (239.4 KB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Improved handling and control

Lol can not imagine 50mph in one of these things.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Don't worry, the plastic supercharger on the hood will protect you in a roll-over.

40 is fast in the Ranger 800 we use. I can't imagine going faster in a cart without a roll bar, or much of anything else to hold you in.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #4
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Lol can not imagine 50mph in one of these things.
There was definitely some pucker-factor before I got the front end tightened up. Now it's like driving a car.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Don't worry, the plastic supercharger on the hood will protect you in a roll-over.
40 is fast in the Ranger 800 we use. I can't imagine going faster in a cart without a roll bar, or much of anything else to hold you in.
HA! If the supercharger was real, I'd be looking at 50 mph in my rearview mirror!

Since it's street legal, I do have DOT-approved seat belts, and there is a roll bar that the back passengers use as a backrest. Unfortunately, it's only about as tall as my shoulders so I would have to duck down REAL FAST!
Old 10-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is there not a steel sleeve the bolt goes through for the bushings to bear on? This sleeve would also keep the frame ears from pulling together when you tighten the bolt.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #7
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Is there not a steel sleeve the bolt goes through for the bushings to bear on? This sleeve would also keep the frame ears from pulling together when you tighten the bolt.
Yes there is, and most of them were actually a little too long and had to be shortened a bit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car