lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Yamahaguy1984
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 Gas Carbureted Lifted

Hi have a 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 carbureted J6 motor. 6 inch jake lift kit and 23 tires put on by a shop before they sold me the cart. I have several issues the one they have an easy fix I have a rear tire wobble and when it brakes it severely wobbles. They ordered new rear hubs to solve this. I am getting a back fire after stopping the cart after a 10 or so minute ride. I am thinking its running too rich. The warranty is out so I am thinking its just an adjustment on the carb or maybe throttle cable?

Also the cart is very fast on the flat but dogs severely on hills. It dogs out to almost a crawl with one passenger. Also the rear seems like it needs heavy duty springs when two passengers on the rear the front of the cart wants to lift up on going over a bump.

Thanks
Yamahaguy1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 Gas Carbureted Lifted

Sounds to me like someone cranked the governor down and didn't adjust the throttle cables afterwords...that causes all of these symptoms(backfire, no power on hills but fast top end, etc...) You need Heavy duty springs if cart has been Lifted to prevent front end lifting and top end wobble.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Also basic tune up and maintenance if it hasn't been done. Valve lash can cause backfire as well.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
Derekp78
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Sounds to me like someone cranked the governor down and didn't adjust the throttle cables afterwords...that causes all of these symptoms(backfire, no power on hills but fast top end, etc...) You need Heavy duty springs if cart has been Lifted to prevent front end lifting and top end wobble.
Tell me more...is there a specific way to adjust this? My cart does the same thing as the OP.
Derekp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
jdschmidt
Not Yet Wild

Mine does the same thing, would love to know how to adjust it as well.
jdschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There's a lot of info in the service manual about adjustments but I do it so often I'll try to just explain...There is are two 10 mm nuts on the cable running from gov to carb directly under the starter/generator...loosen that nut and allow the cable more slack(back it off a few turns) and re-tighten. After that take up your floor mat by removing the plastic rivets and pulling up the floor pan. You will then see your throttle cable going to the gas pedal...you should be able to freely pull on the cable with some slack in it...if its already so tight there is no slack you need to back the 10mm nut off where cable connects and give the cable a little slack...you can now test drive and see if this cures your issue or not...If not make the same adjustment further on the cable under the starter it may take a few times but that cable is where your main adjustment will be made...keep trying a little at a time until you reach your desired throttle style without backfire...you will also want to check carb to make sure the butterfly on top closes(if it hangs open at all this will also cause backfire)... Sorry no pics on this yet but if you follow cable back from carb you will find this adjustment under starter...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 yamaha drive 2, carb lifted, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha