lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #1
Bajrang
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default How to keep your cart from being stolen

Howdy, I’d like to pick your collective brains. We had a near-new Club Car stolen a few days back, and I’d like to know what you all do to assure this doesn’t happen to yours. No one here has a garage (or someone would be living there), we have no dogs (nature preserve for over 50 years) and are pretty easy pickings for the metharians living in the area. We have footage of the guy getting out of an SUV (stolen) pulling his hoodie up, and just jumping in the cart and driving off the property. We stuck up reward posters all over and, SURPRISE!, got a call telling us they had seen one abandoned in the woods near by. We retrieved it, sans charger & key, and forked out $500. Very glad to get it back, but I would not like this to become a side job for some misguided soul.The key had been left in the cart. That won’t happen again, but the guy now has a key. I assume a flat bladed screwdriver would work as a key if you didn't care.

Today I have been fooling around with hiding another switch in case the misguided fellow knows about the tow switch, a pressure switch (think opposite of an auto door light switch) under the seat hooked to LOUD alarm, various motion detectors, and a steering wheel to brake pedal lock (because there is no metal reinforce in the wheel I found I could cut a chunk out in two minutes) , as well as several even more wimpy ideas like changing the two screws that hold the dash on to special head units. Also testing out trail-cams.

I was always been amazed that we hadn’t had a problem with cart theft. Mostly they steal gas, car batteries, tires, and the occasional car, but there are a lot of off-grid folks up here in the woods making honey oil and meth and there sits $1000 worth of deep cycle batteries. Just take the cart and remove the batteries at leisure. You even get cables.

Three points:

1 Can’t involve dogs, guns, electric fences, rattlesnakes, hornet nests or garages.

2. I personally called all 23 owners and told them to flip their tow/run switches when parked for the night. This was only to make them feel involved while I try to come up with something.

3. I'm not interested in catching these guys (we have police, though 30+ minutes away), just stopping them and making it less of a shoperee atmosphere. Every time someone is busted up here, the police also impound an arsenal.

So, what do you think?

Brian
www.morethanthecar.com
Bajrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2018, 02:05 AM   #2
Bajrang
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: How to keep your cart from being stolen

Also, I've been looking for a out-of-sight but accessible battery cut off switch. One of our drivers is 89 and another has Parkinsons so things need to be easy.
Brian
www.morethanthecar.co
Bajrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I’ve got mine under a lean-to attached to my garage. I have a 1/2” coated cable that runs through the rear seat frame, through the front seat arm rests, through the steering wheel and then padlocked to some rebar that is mounted in 80 lbs. of buried cement. There is also a set of motion activated flood lights and a wireless video camera aimed right at it, as well as another video camera that will capture anyone approaching it.

I’m sure if they’re really determined, they can still get it, but at least they’ll have to work for it and I’ll have them on video. I’m going to enlarge my garage this summer and then it will be locked up indoors.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

simple hidden kill switch , replace the stock key switch and a steering wheel to brake pedal lock . those are the three main ones I use as mine lives outside all the time . The kill switch I use every day and most effective. a the barrel style key works to but with a plastic dash its only a 30 second bump along the way of stealing it . The club works to, most thieves dont want to spent that much time trying to cut it off.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You don't have to hide the switch if it is not obviously a run switch. One member added a big ole light switch with a picture of lights on it and wired his solenoid (-) through it. This way with out light switch pulled out the cart would not run.
A quick google search showed a big red ALARM button no thief would want to pull. Other buttons I saw were marked emergency flasher. Etc.
One member use a cigarette lighter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

here is a link to an uncommon keyed ignition switch. I've seen some cheaper online, and I've seen guys adapt a universal one. These ones are nice because they fit right in the factory spot. This one is for electric, but also available for gas.

https://www.nivelparts.com/product/4...c-ds-prec-elec
Rayferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Get a length of 1/2" logging chain, grade 70 or better, [the cheap china $#it is too easy to cut] and the best padlock you can find and chain the cart to a tree or something immovable by a decent clevis or similar attached to the frame of the cart. The trick is to put the lock in a place that is not able to get at with bolt cutters or grinder. Simple, and effective. Let 'em try now!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

all these ideas are great, the problem is anyone that knows about golf cars would care less and still get your cart. Everyone of the above ways to stop thieves is in use where I'm at. Carts are still stolen. I'm sure it will slow down most or make them just move on to the next one, so something is better than nothing.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #9
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Perhaps the simplest would be a lock bar...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACC-0029_Installed_l__79159.1474557713.1280.1280.jpg (313.9 KB, 0 views)
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #10
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

from youtube less than 5 seconds to saw through the steering wheel.
mlanierjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car