lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #11
bwalterscheid
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Fuel Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalterscheid View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also having fuel draw problems in as n 82 Parcar. It does great on a flat road. At the top of the hill--it dies (starter turning the engine). Before it will start again, I have to pour Fuel in the hose leading from the filter to the fuel pump. I have noticed leaks out of the circular screen in the new fuel pump. See attached picture. Any suggestions?

bwalterscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Your pump shouldn't be leaking at all so your pump needs to go back to where you got it. Any 3 line vacuum pump should work on that.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
bwalterscheid
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

The original pump was leaking also-that is why I replaced it.

bwalterscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
Garpo67
Not Yet Wild

I recently replaced the crankshaft seals on my 83 Columbia/HD. Since I've done that i now have no fuel draw to my filter or carb. The fuel pump is new. Im obviously loosing vacuum somewhere. I had no issues replacing the gaskets. But it makes me wonder now. Any tips or suggestions.
Garpo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I have not had much experience with later carts but with the older carts losing fuel prime can be a problem. It might be the fuel pump is not working as well as it should. force the fuel mix into the system if you can and maybe you have a small air leak in the line. Any leak in the fuel system will cause problems. Of course a vacuum loss will cause it to but if the seals are not leaking and the crankcase is sealed it will be a fuel delivery problem between the tank and carb. I know this may be confusing but I have always said trouble shooting remotely is difficult. Good luck!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #16
icebite1
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I have a 1978 HD D4. It has had a problem with fuel draw for a couple years. I recently replaced the cylinder, piston and rings, also a aftermarket carb. It fired right up and ran better than before but I could see thru the clear fuel filter that it was still struggling with fuel supply. I added a low pressure 12v fuel pump (checked out at a steady 3 1/2 lbs pressure) Wow, it now started fast and ran great. BUT after a couple weeks with around 5-6 hours run time it just suddenly quit running. A touch of fuel in the spark plug hole and it fired right up till that shot of fuel burned up. After reading thu these posts i see that vacuum also pulses the fuel diaphragm to feed fuel thru the carb by way of a check valve similar to to what is used in a float bowl if im understanding the process correctly. So now could the crank seals be the problem? It just seemed strange that it stopped running all of a sudden with no warning. Also has anyone tried to fit a carb with a float bowl to these old units?
icebite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #17
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

the engine seals are directly relared to fuel draw since the vacuum chamber (crank case) has to be air tight to be able to pull a vacuum when the piston rises. Seals bad = no vacuum!
Old 09-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #18
icebite1
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
the engine seals are directly relared to fuel draw since the vacuum chamber (crank case) has to be air tight to be able to pull a vacuum when the piston rises. Seals bad = no vacuum!
So did understand it correctly -- The same vacuum that pulses the diaphragm to draw fuel from the tank to the carb also triggers the float bowl style valve for a shot of fuel which is drawn into the carb throat mixed with air then thru the reed valves into the crankcase/cylinder -- does that sound close?
Old 09-02-2023, 05:03 PM   #19
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Yes, that is close. Please read 2 cycle theory from any source.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:54 AM   #20
icebite1
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Well after chasing around after the suspected fuel problem it turned out the coil was going bad and finally quit altogether.
There is a great Sticky covering Ignition Coils and Ballast Resistors just under this Sticky.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson