lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Planning a motor upgrade. NEED HELP

This might be stupid questions however trying to figure out what I need to find before I get started. I have a 91 club car carryall 2 with the Kf82 flathead motor. From what I am seeing it has a counter clockwise rotation. To put a new motor in would work I'm understanding but forward would be reverse and vise versa. So I guess my question is: Can I turn the axle or differential is on the other side? Or do I have to get a different axle? Will I lose reverse if I change out motors? So many questions I just need to get my motor and figure it out as I go. Any help or advice is helpful. Thanks
Shoeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Planning a motor upgrade. NEED HELP

You should be fine with a 91 club car, they changed rotation in 95 i think.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

CCW at the PTO end is normal and yours should be that. You will have to mount the clone in there noting distance between the clutches, as there are few belts for 1" unless you convert it to 1 3/16 wide belt that is more common. You have to fit an exhaust/airbox setup/throttle and choke linkages and some other details. There are many threads here on how people did theirs, plenty of help, some of it depends on if you want more performance and how in depth you want to get with things. For example I used a car airbox and piped it to the front of the cart to avoid dust, airfilters are $7 for it. I had Robertson make a header and welded a car muffler to it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks, just wanting more speed and power its acting like a turd right now but seems to be running ok.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

So when I put a new motor in this cart over the winter. It doesn't matter what rotation my cart is? I just need to find my motor and worry about the distances between he clutches and well as the width of the belt. The rest I can fix up but just making sure that I'm understanding this correctly. I'm not sure I'm understanding the idea of a "clone" and opposed to just putting a big block in it? I looked at vegas carts saw the 460cc motor which I like but wondering if its what I need. Then need comet 780 clutch, or just the big clone conversion kit? Sorry might be stupid questions just trying to get all figured out and ready to start and finish this over the winter. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Is the 460cc motor big enough for those who have it. I have a 91 club car carryall 2 lifted 6inches w/ 26/12/12 dirt devils. Love what I've done but was hill power and speed. I want to be able to "cruise town" lol.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

IIRC about 95 and older CC are CCW like other carts, the newer ones are backwards. The 1" belts system is not that great but you can get around that, others run it and it works. A clone is a honda gx390 copy they come in 390/420/440/460cc now and lots of people sell them, Lifan is a major maker, all made in China. They are a slant single cylinder splash lube engine.

My 420 with some minor mods has hit 38mph on gps on 22" tires its a G9 yamaha. Power is about double stock it will spin the tires in dirt no problem, spins up hills, it could be pretty unsafe for certain people to drive. Twin will give you even more torque but they don't cost $300 new, so take your pick. I likely have around 600 into mine total with all the mods, custom exhaust, cut/ported head, removed governor, etc. Stock cam yet and stock carb. Its a 420cc lifan from home depot.

Check my last video make sure you watch the end. Just put a new duster clutch on and it is not shifting right but still goes. Waiting on new weights for it right now.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks that helps. Sounds like the direction I need to go should be good enough for what I need. lol
Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #9
Shoeman
Getting Wild
Club Car

So if I go the way of the clone I will still have reverse? Did u stay with pedal start or switch to key start? Is one better than the other? When I get my motor out, with it being a kf82 flat head motor what would it be worth or who do I need to ask? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeman View Post
So if I go the way of the clone I will still have reverse? Did u stay with pedal start or switch to key start? Is one better than the other? When I get my motor out, with it being a kf82 flat head motor what would it be worth or who do I need to ask? Thanks for your input.
More is usually better lol, but I have other projects and blowing an additional $1K-1200 on a motor back then would take more waiting. Also use this for utility stuff I have a dump box normally on it, it didn't need to have giant power. I did another family cart and it turned out so well I just went with it, still playing with things to get the most out of it. Not sure I will cam it or not at some point.

Reverse is in the trans on 4 stroke carts, it will work the same as stock.

I use pedal start because the cart is used for a lot of yard type stuff and it is way more handy than starting it 30 times a day. If it was a trail only cart I might go starter, but most clones don't charge then you have to put a alternator on or buy one like the home depot with the new 18A charging system that just came out lately. The gen does 15A charging and its on there already (yamaha but similar on other carts). Some people have had issues with clone starters not lasting that long, some have not had problems. May depend on the brand I don't know.

Sure you can sell the old motor, I don't know value on those but I can get minimum 300 out of a running G9 engine. Check ebay and craigslist for an idea. Lot of people just want to get it running and not interested in swap project or more power, its much easier to drop another stock engine in. I can take a G9 engine out in 15 min or something. Reminds me: good idea to pressure wash the heck out of the engine and everything else before you tear into it, or wash it as much as you can and from the bottom.

I worked on some older CC I put HS gears in one and hit 28gps on the limiter with that flathead, all stock cart otherwise. Near bought a carryall2 but it cost more to lift and other things so I passed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!