lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Setting governor linkage arm?

Anyone know how to reset the governor linkage arm on the shaft that comes out of the top of the rear end? Preferably factory setting.
abaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Setting governor linkage arm?

#1 Watch which way the governor arm moves when it make the carb go from idle to full throttle.
#2 Loosen the bolt on the governor arm
#3 Move governor arm to wide open throttle
#4 With the arm at wide open throttle, turn the governor shaft as far as you can in the same direction that the governor arm moves from idle to wide open throttle (counter clockwise?? I believe) I usually turn it back and forth a couple of times to make sure it goes as far as it can.
#5 Tighten the nut before anything moves.

This same process works for most engines. Wide open throttle, turn gov shaft in same direction until it stops, tighten bolt.

Good luck
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

aintgotthis' above post is the procedure for 1984-1991 Club Car gas carts. What year is your cart, abaguy?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
cab188
Not Yet Wild

I'm gonna butt in on this thread. I just put a new carb on and having trouble puttering along slow,it wants to run maybe half throttle or more. Didn't know if I should tinker with carb adjust or deal with governor. Seems like you guys have been there. It's a 93 club car
cab188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, can't believe I forgot to post it. It's a 1997 cart.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here you go abaguy! Start at #5

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Govadj.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by lockman1; 05-27-2023 at 03:38 AM..
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
abaguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks aintgotthis and lockman1. Got it set right using the instructions. Runs much better now.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Wow, I came on here today looking for this advice and it was right there at the top of the unread posts since my last visit. Talk about good timing!!

I recently "un-did" my govenor by loosening the clamp to see how I liked it. It was nice to get the better top end for running down the road but hitting the rev limiter every few hundred yards and the cart falling on it's face get's tiresome. Debating now on undoing the rev limiter and getting a tach or just re-setting the govenor and leaving it alone.....
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

If it were my cart I would set the governor and leave it there. The Kawasaki engine has a counter weight off the crankshaft that runs up and down on a peg connected to the back of the crankcase. They absolutely cannot take over revving. It will bust a chunk out of the crankcase. I am warning all of you, I have seen it many times. USE THE GOVERNOR!!!
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotthis View Post
If it were my cart I would set the governor and leave it there. The Kawasaki engine has a counter weight off the crankshaft that runs up and down on a peg connected to the back of the crankcase. They absolutely cannot take over revving. It will bust a chunk out of the crankcase. I am warning all of you, I have seen it many times. USE THE GOVERNOR!!!
I have two KF82 motors in my basement that have blown this way (not from my actions), so I'm familiar with it. But removing or adjusting out the governor isn't necessarily going to automatically over-rev your motor. The governor on my cart is completely removed and I have gained top speed without over-revving. Just like your car, as long as you don't mash the gas and drive like an a$$, it's not really a big deal. You do have to watch if you let others drive your cart, they may not be as careful and attentive to your engine's limits as you are.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car