lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
williamjr55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Big Blocks,Clutches and Belts

I have read everything I can find in the forum on determining proper (correct) belt size and have tried the measureing the drive clutch center (1190 6" Circ) and the driven clutch (36degree EZGO 30") added 2" and determined that a 38" belt will not fit a big block on a Stretch Cradle or for that matter on a CPP cradle as we (Son and I) have both the distance between centers on both are 12 5/8" (or REAL CLOSE to that) I presently have a 46 29/32" belt on mine (Stretch) and it works but is loose and will not allow the (clutches to work to their full capacity (Marked sheeves to determine travel) gets a bit pricey to buy belts in 1/2 "increments to try hoping that someone one somewhere out there has run these combinations and found that proper belt..
williamjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Big Blocks,Clutches and Belts

SO if you have the motor installed? There is a way to measure the size of belt you need..... is that what you want?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
SO if you have the motor installed? There is a way to measure the size of belt you need..... is that what you want?
Give it to us Scotty I'm curious?
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
williamjr55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thats what I'm looking for.. I guess the best way is to cut a belt wrap it measure the missing space add that to the length of the cut belt..just didn't want to cut up a good belt even the one's we removed from the Robin motors..and not sure how much to add to allow for proper tension...pretty sure we are not the first to have these cradle/clutch combinations...Tom has tried to assist however he is not sure of the 1190 clutch on his cradle with the 24HP Honda and a 36 degree EZGO driven clutch.Had hoped that somone before us had found the right combination...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I have a Honda 20 with the stock ez-go clutch and 36 deg driven. Tom sent me a ez-go belt number 14153G1. I'm betting that that belt will work for you.

I also have a Dayco Max 1116 snow mobile belt that is close to the same overall lenth that will work.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here's what i found ..... you can use a cloth tape or a string and then mark and measure the string after wards

With both clutches on, wrap the tape around the center shaft of the engine (drive) clutch where the belt will ride when the cart is off. And in the rear run the tape around the driven clutch at the top or largest part ... this is actually outside of where the belt will ride ( it is the outside diameter of the drive) take this measurement add 2 inches and that;s your belt. worked for me on several different builds ~
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
williamjr55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ALLRITE!!! guess getting smarter as you get older is not automaticFINALLY the light went on understand your formula now I have been measuring the circumference of the drive clutch (center) and the circumference of the driven clutch and adding the 2"gonna get out in the shop today and determine a belt size...appreciate the enlightment
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

William,
You should have an inch and a half to 2 inches of adjustment on the CPP cradle as well. I dont know about the Stretch.
So, as long as you can get 1" of deflection on the drive belt, you should be good.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
williamjr55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The Honda Motor does limit the adjustment avaiable with the cpp cradle due to a oil filter thats 3 1/4 " dia. and fouls the shifter rocker however we have identified a Fram thats 3/4" smaller dia and gives us back some engine/belt adjustment..the stretch DOES NOT allow for belt adjustment..thats going to be changed in the future..putting finishing touches on my cart this evening and hope to post some FINISHED photos tomorrow...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjr55 View Post
The Honda Motor does limit the adjustment avaiable with the cpp cradle due to a oil filter thats 3 1/4 " dia. and fouls the shifter rocker however we have identified a Fram thats 3/4" smaller dia and gives us back some engine/belt adjustment..the stretch DOES NOT allow for belt adjustment..thats going to be changed in the future..putting finishing touches on my cart this evening and hope to post some FINISHED photos tomorrow...
Sorry about that, I forgot about the filter, mines remote so, I have ful range on the slots. I put the Dayco belt on today and it is a little shorter than the Ez-go belt. Just an FYI
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!