lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
CurtM85
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV 36v Solenoid in 48v Cart

First time cart owner here. I bought an RXV that wasn't running and found that the solenoid was damaged. The previous owner had changed over to a lithium 48v battery. The solenoid post was completely melted out of the solenoid and was hanging loose.

My question is, the solenoid says 36v on the side, but it's a 48v cart. I'm not sure if the cart was always 48v, but do I need to upgrade the solenoid to a 48v version and could that be the reason it failed before? Also, the motor obviously doesn't kick on, but the brakes also dont work. Could the fact that the solenoid was damaged cause the brakes not to function? The brakes are not locked up, the cart just rolls and does not have a way of stopping.

I've uploaded a photo of the solenoid if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230531_201214.jpg (241.4 KB, 0 views)
CurtM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: RXV 36v Solenoid in 48v Cart

RXV's were always 48V as far as I know. Damaged solenoid will prevent everything from working. The brakes on the RXV are electric by the motor except for the parking brake. Replace the solenoid with one intended for the RXV and the cart should run.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #3
CurtM85
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I've already ordered a 36v solenoid, same model as what was in the cart. I just didn't know if it had to match the voltage of the cart. Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if that solved it tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:00 PM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wait some of the older RXV take a 36v solenoid. All the Danaher controllers take a 36v solenoid. The Curtis 1206AC-5201 controllers take a 36v solenoid also. What controller do you have? Starting with the Curtis 1206AC-5211 controllers they did start using 48v solenoids.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:12 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The failed solenoid was probably the correct one for your cart. If you ordered a direct replacement, it should be ok.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:39 PM   #6
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Whats shown in that picture is a Danaher controller and very likely would have had a 36V solenoid.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yep 36v...
Old 06-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #8
rngilliland
Gone Wild

You need to check the parking brake. It is on the end of the motor on the drivers side. It should be keeping your cart from rolling. Unless it is one of the early ones with a release lever, it has to be powered to release it. It can be released by swapping plugs under the plastic controller cover. But that would be drawing power from your batteries until the plugs were swapped back to normal. Whoever you bought the cart from may have removed the brake so the cart could be moved.

Even after you replace the solenoid, the cart won't run if the parking brake isn't working.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:37 AM   #9
CurtM85
Not Yet Wild

The previous owner said the brakes failed on him while he was operating the cart and that the cart wouldn't drive either after the brakes failed. Could it be that the brakes went bad at the same time as the solenoid failing? I was thinking if it was just a bad solenoid, the brakes would be locked up. If the solenoid alone doesn't fix it, I'll order a new parking brake I suppose.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:30 AM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That sounds like a good plan.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO