lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
nyvram
Not Yet Wild

Default Someone please help! Converted to LiON but won't turn on

I am not an electrical expert and it seems like every youtube video ignores the 12v conversion part of the LiON upgrade. I tried to be as prepared as possible but I'm missing something important...the 'key on' orange wire perhaps?

See the pics below:

- First pic is all the 48v power connections, cart, 2 batteries and charger.

- Second pic is the 2 batteries (which turn green when I push the buttons on them) along w/ the 12v converter connections. The orange wire connected to the + is what someone called the "charger interlock" (it was connected to the charger outlet before) so I stripped it and connected to battery +

- Third pic is the 12v wires; i temporarily put a wire nut on the red/red and black/black wires. There is the orange wire (labelled as "key on") but I have no other 12v wires that were unconnected on the cart so I have no idea where or what to do with this.

When I flip from 'tow' to 'on' I get nothing
- no headlights
- no horn
- key on/off does nothing
- no buzzing in REVERSE
- no movement

I'm guessing the switch connected to the solenoid isn't flipping on but I don't know how to make that work. I am an idiot, I know..but there was absolutely nothing in the installation guide to tell me what to do with the orange wire. In fact, there was nothing in the guide regarding the 12v side of things at all; just a general schematic.

Can someone help make the cart work!? I'll be forever in your debt.

nyvram is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2023, 06:30 PM   #2
nyvram
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Someone please help! Converted to LiON but won't turn on

Bump. My next door neighbor who is an electrician came over and looked at it with me and confirmed we are getting 52v in to the converter but not getting 12v from the wires. It's not showing any voltage so I'm guessing it's just a bad unit. Without power to the 12v system the cart is dead. I'm so disappointed. I'm going to try and get a cheap one from Amazon and see if it can be delivered by tomorrow for my daughter's party. This was going to be a surprise for her to have it running.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Key on will switch the converter on with the key switch. That’s why it isn’t working.

Try connecting it to either ground or 48v. Try ground first.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:10 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The yellow wire from the inverter should go to 48v pack +. The Orange wire goes to key switch, black to 48v battery- which switches the inverter on and off with the key switch. I'm not sure why you say you can't run the cart without 12 volts? Everything going to the key switch that makes it run is 48v.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:14 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Both yellow and orange wires needs + battery pack voltage to work. You can put both on battery pack +, but the inverter would be on all the time. That's why it goes to key switch.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:35 PM   #6
nyvram
Not Yet Wild

The included electric diagram showed an inverter without the extra orange cable and the inverter didn't have any instructions in the box. Are you saying the cart should turn on without the 12v wires connected? It's not turning on at all. Where is the key switch you're talking about? Is it something I need to purchase separately or do you mean the start key by the steering wheel and I would need to figure out which wire is coming from that and tap into it?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:46 PM   #7
nyvram
Not Yet Wild

Eta attached both orange and yellow wires to pack + and still nothing. I opened the fuse holders to make sure they are ok and they're both intact.

The multimeter shows 52.9 going into the inverter but still zero on the red and black 12v wires.

I've got a cheap Amazon inverter on the way so I'll try that one tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:13 PM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The key switch on taking about, is the one on the cart. I'm confused to what you are talking about I guess.

Here is your instructions for the inverter. Where I got my info from.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #9
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cart doesn't need 12 volt to run. That is for add ons like lights, radios, etc.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #10
nyvram
Not Yet Wild

Hmm. So when you turn the key on, that's pulling from the 48v battery? I guess I have an issue with the solenoid or switch as well then because nothing works when I turn the battery on and flip the key. The charger works and the batteries are green and the dial reads properly but the cart is completely dead.

I was hoping it had something to do with the 12v part but I guess not.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO