lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lifted Club Car DS FE290 intake fix (with pics)

Recently saw that a newer briggs and stratton intake (part # 697122) has become available online, not sure if direct replacement to the one guys were using several years ago (intake manifold #691368 ). I was under the impression the 638 intake was a directly plug and play - minus installing a hose barb on the side - maybe it never was, not sure couldn't find one when I looked.

The newer part (122) is not quite plug and play but I'll show how I made it work. You probably don't need to do quite as much grinding/cutting/filing as i did, but it looks way cleaner.

The first picture will show the unmodified intake. There are two extrusions on the side of the elbow. I cut/filed down both of them, the smaller one has a small hole that I plugged with jb weld (use a piece of tape on the inside so its smooth). Obviously being careful not to cut through the side of the elbow.

The holes on the carb side of the elbow are too wide. I widened the holes toward the elbow so that it would fit over the studs on the cart. Obviously this meant that i couldn't put on the flange nuts to tighten it down, so I had to do some grinding/filing to narrow up the elbow on the sides where the nuts are installed until there was room for them to be tightened on the studs. Dont be lazy there is enough material there to keep using your flange nuts and if you already widened the holes you will want to keep them. started with a small cutting wheel and then filed until I took enough material to where I wanted them.

Theres an ugly lip on the airbox side (top) that I assumed could get in the way depending on how far I wanted to slide the hose over the elbow. I did the same thing as far as cutting then filing until smooth so that I can slide the hose on farther if needed and it looks better. If I wanted to I could probably sand the plastic on the whole thing with something a few grits finer so it doesn't look as scratched up but Its fine with me and feels smooth.

and lastly on the front side (left if looking at the installed elbow from the drivers side of the cart) i installed a hose barb to connect the rubber hose that runs from the valve cover. I think I got 1/4" hose barb to 1/8" male pipe threads brass fitting. Drilled a hole until it was just big enough for it to "start" threading into the plastic and then turned it in with a wrench (eliminating need for tap as long as you're careful and not forcing it. I started small and worked my way up but last drill bit I used was 3/8" and it was a perfect fit. Secured with some JB weld. (be careful not to hit with your cutting tool like I did and nick the hose barb. Thats why I put this step last in my post)

*If using stock rubber hose to the brass hose barb, the hose is slightly too big to use the spring hose clamps. had to switch the carb side spring clamp to a traditional hose clamp because I needed just a tad bit more pressure.

I need to figure out my air box hose next, I was previously using a piece of pool hose from the hardware store when my stock rubber hose got a hole in it. Going to pull my rubber hose off of my other cart and see how well it fits on this intake. If it is odd sized I may just get another piece of pool hose since it can be heated easily if i need something a little bigger.

Hope this helps someone, overall I'm in this intake about ~$32 (for intake and brass fitting) and a couple hours of my time but hopefully my air hose will quit rubbing on my black box and i avoid sucking some dirt into my motor when I least expect it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsintake.jpg (13.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg intake.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg intake1.jpg (66.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg intake2.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg intake3.jpg (54.8 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 AM   #2
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lifted Club Car DS FE290 intake fix (with pics)

Couple pictures of it test fitted on the cart as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake4.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg intake5.jpg (67.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Pe-curved radiator hose works good for intake hose. Might take some experimenting to find one with the right curves to match where you need it to go.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:43 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here are some follow up pics I forgot to post. Sorry the last one is turned 90 degrees.

I ended up using pool hose from the hardware store (i believe 1.5" or 1.25" i forget) and hose clamps. Pool hose is easy to heat / manipulate if you need to make it slip over something slightly bigger. and thanks to having this 90 degree intake, I didn't really have to make any bends in the hose that required heating to avoid a kink. Very simple installation

Works great no issues so far, used homemade gaskets.. Probably could have used the compression ones on the hose barb but it was barely snug and needed some type of clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image[2].jpg (66.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image[3].jpg (63.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image.jpg (73.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 07:55 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Funny, I just installed a 6” lift on my gas cart. I was expecting to have to mess with the intake hose but it is perfectly fine. Maybe pre-96 works better than 97+

I did have a forgetful moment of “crap” when I realized the engine cradle wouldn’t drop any lower because it was hanging from the starter gen ground strap so replaced that with a longer one and all good now. Oops lol
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #6
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Funny, I just installed a 6” lift on my gas cart. I was expecting to have to mess with the intake hose but it is perfectly fine. Maybe pre-96 works better than 97+

I did have a forgetful moment of “crap” when I realized the engine cradle wouldn’t drop any lower because it was hanging from the starter gen ground strap so replaced that with a longer one and all good now. Oops lol
intake hose was kinking/hitting on my 99 when i lifted 6" and on this 96 same lift. I could have made mine work and there was air coming through but im sure it would eventually rip/break. Not much of a gap between the intake and the airbox if you look at the first picture in my post before this one

I didnt know there was a ground strap there on my 99 either.... couldnt figure out for a couple minutes why the motor was suspended haha
Old 03-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I've seen many DIY lifted carts come in as not starting after the lift was installed: They snapped that ground strap in half.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
I've seen many DIY lifted carts come in as not starting after the lift was installed: They snapped that ground strap in half.
Yeah, I didn’t pry very hard on it. I knew it was hanging up and then it hit me replaced it with a piece of 6awg wire about a foot long. Plenty of room now
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:19 PM   #9
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

Interestingly, when I installed a 6'' lift on our '97 Carryall-1, the ground strap and air box didn't need any modifications.
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
My "crap" moment came over the weekend when I installed my 6" lift...cart wouldn't start...and then I saw that the s/g ground strap had been ripped down away from it's connector on the upper frame rail.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car