lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
yubakram
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: State of Charge % incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSS899 View Post
My neighbor just got his I40 delivered. Spoke to the guy delivering and asked about the SOC issue. He said while the cart is charging (power sw on) turn the key on and then off. Said that will reset the charger. Should fix the issue. Might give that a try.
Was told the same from Custom Golf Carts in Mesa AZ
yubakram is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
swantom
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: I talked with a mechanic at our (North Florida Custom Carts) and he said they will come and swap out the dashboard. Stated that it was a simple fix to the problem. I will update again after the holidays when it is done.
swantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
zspin27
Not Yet Wild

I received a printout from my dealer that stated when this issue occurs follow the procedure CSS899 detailed and it has set mine back to 100% every time. Plug it back it, wait for the red light to come on, turn the key on, it will show 100%, turn the key off, unplug, and you are good to go. Def curious about the long term fix though so hopefully someone will follow up about the dash/charger firmware update. THANKS!
zspin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #14
swantom
Not Yet Wild

Hello, Back with an update. Our dealer (North Florida Custom Carts) came out Monday 1/4 to replace the dashboard on our i40. Simple fix that took less than 5 minutes. Everything has been working fine since the replacement. Dealer rep who came out said Icon told them they don't understand the problem but they sent out several new dashboards to replace old ones. So far so good.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #15
SandInMyWheels
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by swantom View Post
Hello, Back with an update. Our dealer (North Florida Custom Carts) came out Monday 1/4 to replace the dashboard on our i40. Simple fix that took less than 5 minutes. Everything has been working fine since the replacement. Dealer rep who came out said Icon told them they don't understand the problem but they sent out several new dashboards to replace old ones. So far so good.

Has the issue resurfaced since the dashboard replacement? I was just told by North Florida Custom Carts that there is no fix. I am not happy with this response.

"According to ICON there is an algorithm issue stemming from a charging voltage deviation that cropped up when they made the switch to Trojan batteries and chargers from U.S. Batteries and we were informed this morning that there is no resolution to the persistent charge percentage display problem. Maybe at some point it’ll be resolved but we simply don’t know when. It doesn’t affect the performance of the cart only the accuracy of the information center."
SandInMyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #16
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandInMyWheels View Post

Has the issue resurfaced since the dashboard replacement? I was just told by North Florida Custom Carts that there is no fix. I am not happy with this response.

"According to ICON there is an algorithm issue stemming from a charging voltage deviation that cropped up when they made the switch to Trojan batteries and chargers from U.S. Batteries and we were informed this morning that there is no resolution to the persistent charge percentage display problem. Maybe at some point it’ll be resolved but we simply don’t know when. It doesn’t affect the performance of the cart only the accuracy of the information center."
On the face of it, I wouldn't be happy with that answer, but I don't think it's worth really getting upset about simply because I don't think they (or any golf cart company) is really capable of high accuracy.

From a technical standpoint...it's incredibly difficult to get accurate readings, especially from a company the size of ICON. I have family that worked for Tesla specifically trying to improve their battery capacity calculations.

Here's some info from a battery scientist that goes into it some:
Quote:
Batteries are not gas tanks. They expand and contract with the type of usage and diminish with loss of capacity with usage and age. As such, gauges to estimate their remaining charge or discharge time are estimates. Oftentimes poor gauges behave like the predictive time displays on computers when downloading data. But, with a lot of calculations there are a number of ways to estimate the remaining charge in a battery.

First, it has to be understood that there is no single value for capacity of a given battery. Capacity in a given battery depends on the type of battery chemistry, design and the conditions of discharge (discharge rate, temperature, rest periods, the amount of initial discharge, internal resistance, deterioration, etc.)

Any time a battery is discharged fully at a given rate it gives a capacity value that can be used to predict the next discharge. It just needs to be adjusted to a quantity that can be used to calculate the succeeding discharges under different conditions. These adjustments are battery specific and reasonably simple. If each battery discharge cycle is similar with the discharge rate not varying much, the projection of remaining discharge time or capacity can be fairly accurate at any point in the discharge. If each cycle is quite different, then the accuracy suffers and more complex calculations based on measured battery properties must be made to get acceptable results.

If the battery is never or rarely fully discharged, the prediction becomes more difficult. The expected manufactured capacity of the battery is initially used and then modified with complex calculations from the values measured whenever the battery discharges partially. If the battery discharges fully, these calculations get updated so that the predicted end of discharge becomes more accurate as the discharge progresses. Again, the remaining discharge time at a given temperature will depend on the rate of discharge. The higher the discharge, the lower will be the remaining time.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #17
swantom
Not Yet Wild

So far the problem has not resurfaced. So far so good.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #18
dap247
Not Yet Wild

There's an ICON group on FB and one of the ICON founders is an active member and super helpful with all kinds of info - and even shipping replacement parts directly to members of the group. Here's his very similar response:

"Tech update: After much in-house testing, and additional testing at several of our dealers, we believe we have resolved the issue of some charge meters not resetting to 100% after a full charge cycle. It seems what is happening is that the state of charge meter needs to cross the 51 volt threshold in order to reset to 100%, but the current Trojan algorithm is only charging to within .5 of that number. So to use a gas tank analogy, your tank is filling up to 99%, but not triggering the gauge to read "full". You still have 99% of your available range after charging, but the meter just doesn't know it. So they are writing a new charging algorithm for us, which we should have relatively soon. In the meantime, your dealers can substitute a US battery algorithm in its place, or wait for the updated Trojan algorithm. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we wanted to make sure of what actually was happening. We were initially a bit puzzled because exchanging meters worked in the beginning for some carts, but not others. So we needed to confirm if it was a meter issue, a battery issue, a charger issue, or an algorithm / software issue, or some combination of some or all of them. And also credit goes to a few folks here who were right on the money with their thoughts about what the issue was. This group is awesome!"

Also, FWIW, I got my cart from NFCC and have been very happy with their service. Tammy is on this FB group too as is another member of her staff. I'd recommend it to anyone as there are a bunch of ICON dealers there and some folks who are fabricating bolt-on specific accessories for ICONs - like a 2" hitch receiver and nerf/step bars.
dap247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #19
DM3
Not Yet Wild

Been dealing with this very issue for six months. I really hope they will release the software update soon so my dealer can try again.
DM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #20
ATrain
Gone Wild

For those with battery issues - list your battery brand/model, individual battery voltage, and # of batteries in your cart.

My hunch is still a charger software issue.

If anyone missed the picture before, that's how they program the charger...they click that dropdown and select the battery configuration. It appears SUPER easy to accidentally choose the wrong battery config.

I think those different battery profiles tell the charger how much to charge the pack. So if you have Trojan T-105's, your (theoretical) fully charged float voltage should be 52.8v, but if you have T-875's your total should be 54v!

So if you have six 8v T-875's, but your charger is mistakenly programmed for the T-105's, then the charger may only charge up to 52.8v instead of the full 54v.

My theory may be correct for some of you, and for others, you may have a completely different issue.

My theory can be tested though with a multimeter and a fully charged (green light) cart. I just looked up the manufacturer battery data sheets and verified my cart (8x6v T105's) matches that float amount and the individual batteries measured 6.58v (target 6.6v).
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon