lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #11
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Belt Size for a 28 degree clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I know that this has been beat to death in another post, but this slow east TN boy is about as slow as his cart. I have a 2002 st480. I understand that it has a 28 degree clutch. Is it worth my money to put on a shorter belt? Will it boost low end torque? Or is the st480 pretty much maxed out? Thanks for any help.
Adjust the gov., if your engine is running right your 480 should run about 30mph with 22" tires, and haul azz getting there.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
TVH
Getting Wild

I know this subject has been beat to death, and I have tinkered and messed around with different belts, 28 degree clutches, stiffer springs in the drive and driven clutch etc etc. Honestly the best combo I have come up with is this:

Stock spring in drive (front)clutch, stock 42" drive belt, and here is the kicker... 28 degree driven (rear) clutch with the spacer removed. The stock belt rides 1/4" higher than the sheaves on the driven clutch giving me an even lower gear, and the belt is snug but not too tight, making it easier to shift. I don't have to worry about wearing out the F/R linkage due to forcing it back and forth, and I imagine my seals and bearings appreciate it too. I would think the heavy service belt would be a good choice too, I believe it is a 42" belt.

I was running the short belt with the 28deg clutch for a long time and hated how hard it shifted, especially when the belt was new and it would bog down at the very low end for a second just before it would spool up. I now have gobs of consistant torque and it is immediate. I don't stuggle to get the belt on and off, I did lose a little top end, it used to do 29.5 now 28.2 but the torque makes up for it.

I have tried every combo and this works best fr me, just thought I would post it as another option. I haven't posted here in a while so I thought what the heck.
TVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thank You TVH ....... I agree with you....I had the shorter belt on there for a week but as you said too hard to shift and so now the stock belt is working great on my re-machined 28 degree clutch from Tom at Dixie
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
TVH
Getting Wild

I am not familiar with machining clutches but assume it has the same effect as removing the spacer allowing the sheaves to come closer together.
I really like this set up, I was getting concerned about the wear on my shifter and potential wear on the bearings with that tight belt. The short belt seemed to be wearing the surface of my new drive clutch awful quickly too.
TVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
w r thompkins
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the same problem and would like to know more about removing the spacer. Is it part of the clutch that has to be machined or is it an actual spacer that can be removed. Thanks WRT
w r thompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
brodave12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cartparts.com redirects you to another site,whick requires dealers to log in. I was looking fora stock tire for my EZGO TXT and they have it for $72.00. I looked on amazon.com and the same tire is $39.99 with free shipping.
brodave12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO