lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 87 DS gas to 72v Lithium?

Ok guy's I am probably not in the right forum but this one crossed lines. I know that I've see this done on here by one of the regulars but can't remember who and can't find it now.

I have an opportunity to get my Dad's mint condition 87 DS (he past away last November) for a project cart. My brother has a guy wanting to buy it so I need to give an answer if I want it or not.

My two main concerns are issues converting from gas to electric and shipping cost from Washington state to Florida.

I've been thinking about making a bad *ss low and wide pavement chewing toy to run to the Town Square in The Villages out of a DS for a while now. Probably a 72v Leaf system... I've got a Precedent and RXV Leaf lithium conversion under my belt so I'm familiar with most of the mechanics involved. Except for the few differences between 58.4v and 72v and the gas to electric conversion.

Obviously I will need to build a completed Lithium pack w/ BMS and charger to power it. I will also need the controller, solenoid, motor, axle, F/R switch ect.

Are there any other big parts that I'm missing?

Are there any parts that are particularly difficult to find or surprisingly expensive for a project like this?

What's a 72v Plumquick motor cost?

What's a good axle to use for this project cost? Are they easy to get?

Are there any parts of the gas to electric conversion that was a real PITA?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
cricketo
Getting Wild

Default Re: 87 DS gas to 72v Lithium?

I'd say this is not worth your time. Sell the gas buggy, buy an electric one, and then upgrade it to Lithium.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Ok guy's I am probably not in the right forum but this one crossed lines. I know that I've see this done on here by one of the regulars but can't remember who and can't find it now.

I have an opportunity to get my Dad's mint condition 87 DS (he past away last November) for a project cart. My brother has a guy wanting to buy it so I need to give an answer if I want it or not.
Sorry for your loss. I can certainly understand you wanting to get his cart and get it going. Sentimental value is far greater than what the cart might be worth after a build like this.

My two main concerns are issues converting from gas to electric and shipping cost from Washington state to Florida.

Obviously I will need to build a completed Lithium pack w/ BMS and charger to power it. I will also need the controller, solenoid, motor, axle, F/R switch ect.

Are there any other big parts that I'm missing?
I believe an MCOR... As well as wire harness.
What's a good axle to use for this project cost? Are they easy to get?
I got a used one from David at Revolution Golf Cars. Among many other new parts.
Are there any parts of the gas to electric conversion that was a real PITA?
Not really... However, I don't know specifically for an 87 DS. Everything on my 92 was quite easy. The frame even had mounting holes for the new MCOR.
Thanks,
Here is my build thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...ld-thread.html
Good thing with my 92 gas frame, is that the frame rails are farther apart than on a factory built electric cart. That helped a lot with fitting the 14 module battery pack in! From my understanding this is true for most, if not all CCs, but I don't know that for sure. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll answer any I can. David helped me put this whole build together, I'm sure he can help you with what you are trying to do here.
Hope this helps!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The gas transaxle is worth more to many people than the electric. You may be able to trade even up in the for-sale forums.

It'll be a fair amount of work as you know, but I understand the emotional attachment. You would be able to put in a twin cylinder big block for less time and money than you'd spend converting to an electric... 22hp Predator V-Twin would cost less than the lith pack alone...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium