lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Travis91
Gone Wild

Default Painting my yamaha G16

Well im building the G16 as a few may know. Im not real sure how to paint the plastic body. it has been painted before but i beat the hell out of it and i want to sand it down to the plastic to smooth it out. what grit paper is good? can i use a DA sander? is rust olem plastic primer still the best to use? and what are the steps i need to follow from bare plastic to finished product?
Travis91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
pbillyi69
shut up & hang on

Club Car

Default Re: Painting my yamaha G16

i just painted the plastic on my cart and i went to a paint dealer and got plastic primer that they suggested i don't remember what it was i used it all and threw the can away. i made the mistake of using 80 grit on an orbital sander and it was too rough it left a bunch of little circles that i had to try and sand out with finer i used 100 then 150, and 220 to get rid of the circles as best as i could then filled them with primer sanded again with 150 on a foam pad primed again and sanded again used a damp cloth in between each coat of paint then after i used a regular grey primer because the plastic primer was white and i wanted the paint color to match. sanded again then i sprayed the color sanded sprayed more color sanded with 220 by hand sprayed color again wet sanded with 400 sprayed clear wet sanded with 400 more clear then i jumped to 1500 and wet sanded keep the sandpaper wet have a bucket of cold water near and dunk it in often cleaned all the gunk off and used an electric polisher on slower speeds and rubbing compound and polished it twice like that and waxed it. im not a paint and body guy at all but it came out really well and i used rattle cans elbow grease patience. if i knew it was going to come out so well i would have filled all the scratches and fixed the body better.......i was bored and thought i would paint my golf cart big mistake im so happy with it now im going to lift it and put a big block in it.........crap im sure there are things that i don't know i used to pain boats and it wasn't as important to be perfect because they sit in water and water hides the mistakes hope it helps

bret
pbillyi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint