lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

Default KF82 valve noise after stuck valve

I had a stuck intake valve on the KF82. It was running great, parked it, next time I started it, it wouldn't run...stuck valve. I was able to remove the head and free it up, but now it makes a loud tapping noise that I believe is coming from the valve. It runs fine but the noise doesn't sound good at all. Any suggestions?

Thx
sp_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: KF82 valve noise after stuck valve

Did you adjust the valve lash clearance?
If it has hydraulic lash adjusters the adjuster may be collapsed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

I did not. I don't think this has hydraulic lifters. I've read they have caps over the end of the valve stem. It literally was running perfect when I shut it off, then wouldn't start the next day and I found the stuck valve. I took the head off and tapped the valve down until it worked loose. I did this with a rubber mallet and didn't have to hit it very hard. Now it makes the loud clacking noise but runs well otherwise.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: UPDATE - KF82 valve noise after stuck valve

So I finally got back out to work on the golf cart. I found the problem. I've not ever heard of anyone describing the KF82 lifters like mine are, but what I found is that there is a little 'puck' with a nipple on it that sits on top of the lifter coming up out of the case. The nipple mates with a hole in the top of the lifter. Apparently, when the valve stuck, that puck dislodged from the lifter and was in the bottom of valve inspection area. Hence, the clearance between lifter and valve was like 1/4" or so....the thickness of the puck. I'm assuming you can buy these 'pucks' in different thicknesses to set proper valve clearance. I simply put the puck back where it belonged and ground the valve stem a bit to get the proper clearance. All is good again. Was a serious PITA to get the valve spring keepers back in place. Took a lot of time and patience!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it’s running again!
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Pretty sure I'm having this issue on my '90 (stuck valve). Stopped the cart for a few minutes at a friend's house earlier today, but then the cart was trying to start and wouldn't. Then it started sounding like it wasn't even building compression. Have spark, and motor vacuum is running the fuel pump just fine. Will be tearing into it tonight or tomorrow. Will be sure to make sure that valve "puck" is back in place.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
sp_clark
Not Yet Wild

Good luck. I fought carb issues in mine for a year. Stuck valve twice. Turned out my fuel tank was FILTHY with broken down rubber from vent gasket and just other dirt. Once I removed and cleaned the tank, my problems went away. Been running great ever since. Don’t overlook the simple things for WHY the valve stuck. I did and it was a PIMA for a long time. The first stuck valve did not result in the disengagement of the ‘puck’ under the valve stem. You may get lucky and not have to deal with that.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks for the info! Luckily for me this cart has been running near-perfect for about two years until this afternoon. I won't know for sure until I get into it, but I think the valve has gotten hung up a time or two over last couple of months. I'll be driving along and for no reason whatsoever the motor rpms would stumble slightly, but then rebound. Hopefully this was related. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It was the plastic cam gear that let loose from the camshaft. Gear spinning on the shaft but not turning it.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYJ6Du-t7OY

It was a camshaft that had it's gear re-set to the shaft with bolts. Bolts are all laying down in the bottom of the crankcase:

Luckily I have an extra camshaft so I've already fixed it.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you put that one back together put red loktite on the screws so they can't back off again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car