lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Default Todays cart acquisition

Ok, I went and picked up the 1993 Club Car that I mentioned in a previous thread. It was missing the seats (boo hoo) and headlights, but is otherwise MOSTLY there. The motor was disassembled and sitting in two pieces in a basket on the back, and looks like it did sustain some damage somehow. Not sure how bad it is, or if it's possible to repair it and make it usable, or whether it is even worth it or not..

The seller said that they took it to a local golf cart shop after it stopped working (she said they could put it in forward and hit the pedal and it would TRY to go, but just wouldn't move), and the shop said the motor was destroyed and that it was caused by something in the electrical system. They said something about backfeeding voltage or something (she wasn't sure exactly). They decided it would cost too much to repair, so they bought another cart for about what they would have spent to have it repaired. There was one solenoid sitting in one of the front dash cubbies, with a broken terminal (probably broke it while trying to remove it and unbolt the cables). The ends of some of the wires look a little worn and overheated (the sheathing is a little wrinkled from heat), so there may very well have been an electrical problem.

I am attaching a link to the pictures of the cart, charger, and motor, if anyone wants to take a peek and give me some input and advice. Do you think the electrical system will be ok, and what's an easy way to test it all? I am well versed in 12 volt electronics (mobile electronics), so testing shouldn't be a big issue if I know where to start and what to look for. It appears to have a controller, no "coils" like my other carts. Any hints, tips, tricks would be appreciated. If it turns out to be mostly junk, I'll just part it out probably. It's got a decent body, and it is surprisingly clean even underneath.

Here is one PREVIEW image of the cart

Here is the link to all the pictures - http://www.sonicperfection.com/93ClubCar/

If this link is not allowed for any reason moderators, please feel free to remove it and let me know, and I'll just post a few of the pictures instead. I just didn't want to clutter the site with a bunch of pictures of a beater. I'll do that when I start actually building one... :)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by SP-Electronics; 09-17-2008 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: added one pic
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Todays cart acquisition

Did the two knee bitters come with it? Looks like a good deal.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Nah, those are mine, and they wouldn't take them as trade for the cart, so I hadda keep em. ;)

I definitely can't complain for $125. I'm going to look at another for $50 as soon as I can, and possibly another for $400, but don't really want to spend $400 on a "dead" cart (bad batteries, no charger that I'm aware of, etc.). Not when I know I can get a mostly complete one for less.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is a good deal...the seats are not that hard to find and recover or to make even...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
chevyrules05
A-DMIN

Club Car

good deal you should be able to just buy a new motor and wire it up or go ahead and convert a controller cart if it already isn't one
chevyrules05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

You did good. Definitely got your money's worth and more.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Yeah, I'm hoping I can just pop a new motor in it, but I'm a little worried based on what the lady said about the motor going bad because of the electronics. I just wish I knew exactly what the shop that they took it to said, so I'd know what to look at. I'm worried that the controller or something else is damaged, and that I'd have a lot of stuff to replace. Not that the motor isn't bad enough, since they certainly are not a "cheap" part of things.

Anyone have a motor to fit the 1993 Club Car, cheap? If so, let me know. :)

I guess now I have to dig up the wiring diagrams for this one, and figure out what might be missing, and start piecing it together, and testing everything. If anyone knows how I can test the controller, etc., please tell me. I'll break out my meter and start testing whatever I can. If the motor isn't installed, can you still test the controller for proper output, etc.? Or does the controller need the motor for feedback? I suppose I could wire up this other motor I have, and just have it sitting on the bench or something? Or will that not be good for the motor?

Anyway, I'm hoping to poke and probe a little bit tomorrow, and jump in a little heavier over the weekend. Any input before then is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone! Hopefully the other one that I need to look at for $50 won't be too bad either. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be another CC and will have a good motor that I can put in this one, and seats that are halfway good. I've got the seat bottom from my 84 club car which I just did a quick and dirty recover on, so I can put that on this one when the time comes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car