lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
sllimnek
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 89 CC DS -- Drive Belt Tension

Hi. I inherited a 89 CC DS from a tenant that I kicked out of my house. It is in BAD shape.

After tinkering around, I determined that the KF-82 was not worth saving (ignition coil, exciter coil shot -- rusty water where the oil should be). I decided to repower with a brand spanking new Dura Max 7 HP OHV engine.

The engine is mounted. It starts and moves. The drive clutch (attached to the engine) squeezes on the belt as it should. But the driven clutch (attached to the transaxle) does not expand as it should.

I had to lengthen the large spring on the drive clutch so that at low rpm the engine would idle, and the drive clutch would not squeeze on the belt. As I increase engine RPM, the drive clutch squeezes the belt, and the cart moves.

My question is what is the operating theory on the driven clutch? Does it expand because the drive clutch "shortens" the belt when it squeezes, thereby forcing the driven clutch to expand? Or does the driven clutch operate on the amount of torque applied to it? Also, should I be able to expand the driven clutch by hand? I've tried - used a flat prybar (gently), and it won't budge.

Oh, and how tight should the drive belt be? How much play midway between the clutch pulley's?

I still have fabrication to do....throttle linkage, gas tank, exhaust extention, but I don't want to put more stuff in my way until I have this clutch situation resolved.

I'll post pictures as I get them uploaded. This cart is ugly!!! But just wait until it's done...
sllimnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car