lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default need ideas on a 18hp and hydrostatic rear end

hi ive got a vertical 18hp motor and a rear end out of a john deere thats hydralic and im want to find a way to make this work on my golf cart and my golf cart is a club car thanks for any help i can get.
kristopher2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: need ideas on a 18hp and hydrostatic rear end

Are you looking for speed from this setup?
Because garden tractors are usually much lighter and don't go all that fast to begin with.
EZGO 89 RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

no no speed just need it around the yard and ive got these parts laying around and thought some how I can use them thank you hope you or some one has an ides
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
EZGO 89 RED
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post some pictures of the axle/rear end you are thinking of using.
EZGO 89 RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopher2247 View Post
hi ive got a vertical 18hp motor and a rear end out of a john deere thats hydralic and im want to find a way to make this work on my golf cart and my golf cart is a club car thanks for any help i can get.
are you talking true hydraulic like a zero turn mower where each rear wheel has a hydraulic pump or a standard lawn tractor rear end?
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

stop///

It won't work.

The ram on a hydraulic unit has to have rpms that just won't work with
a standard VERTICAL shaft lawnmower engine..

Besides, this has been discussed a hundred times... a vertical shaft engine
just won't set up right with a golf cart..

NOT unless you go through hours and hours of insane weirdness trying jackshafts and all sorts of ideas trying to get a motor totally designed to provide power to a vertical shaft, versus a motor designed to deliver power to a horizontal shaft.

You cant turn the vert sideways, it will blow up.

The hydraulic ram on a mower is designed to use ALL the horsepower to deliver max torque to the driving wheels without speed.

Even if you managed to mount the motor (a feat unto itself) and then , somehow managed to mount the ram and mower axle, when you got done, it would go about five miles an hour (fast walking speed) at full throttle.

Save yourself a LOT of time and trouble and look at what works, and maybe go down that road.

The *cheapo* way of converting to a big block is find a used motor you can trust, A HORIZONTAL shaft motor, and build off of that.

The obstacles you might encounter depend on your cart, the motor and your existing clutch and mechanical ability... MY advise is don't make it more difficult than it has to be. Unless you just like to see if you can do something, like make a garbage can fly, which can be done...you're better off following the pattern of others in this regard..
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

The following statement is not a challenge.

Yes, you could make this work to prove someone wrong.

This setup, mounting a vert shaft and hydraulic ram into a frame of some sort would produce a golf cart ( presumably) that would go about 5 miles an hour top end...

Even worse to me, is that the ram setup doesn't really even have torque to deal with not getting stuck, so it has no benefit at all for a cart type vehicle.

The only thing I have seen anyone use these vertical shaft motors for that I thought was cool was some guy mounted one as a power head on a blown up boat motor that had a good lower shaft in it..

It looked like the rig from hell but it ran ..LOL

Actually, you would be better off if you wanted to try to drive that hydraulic ram fast enough to develop ground speed, would be a very high revving motor that has some low end to it.. These rams depend on fast RPM to develop torque..so it isn't the HP that gives them the juice, I just don't know what the top RPM would be that the ram could handle, and if that would even work.. I am talking chainsaw motor rpm, btw.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A few points.Yes this can be done,and not that involved to do.Yes it will be slow,but it will have a bunch of torque.The Opposed-Twin can actually be converted to a Horizontal(if you wanted to keep it and use a standard cart-axle) fairly easily,and with minimal parts(the only engine that can be switched this easily).The only parts required are the sump,side-cover,exhaust and intake manifolds,and an oil-dipper for the connecting-rod(1 dipper on engines above 2800rpm,2 dippers below 2800.)I am converting one for my new motor this winter,collecting parts now!I think the Hydro-Stat would be kind of cool and different,do it!I think where CSASON is getting confused is when guys want to mount a vertical-shaft motor with a standard axle.That won't work easily,this will.Does that rear-end use a pulley-drive from a vertical,or a shaft-drive from a horizontal?It appears to be shaft-driven at the front.If thats the case,you will need a Horizontal-Shaft motor,or convert the Oppy you already have.You won't have any RPM-issues,the Hydro-Rears are a low-input speed rear,they don't like alot of rpm.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
kristopher2247
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

yes this hekp and yes its a drive shaft and my fatherlaw said to use pullys and when i get to the back to weld a pully on the drive shaft and use belt i really want to take two gears and make it turn into a horizontal, like the one in the picture below i want a drive shaft the whole way like a pulling tractor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sYejBQB122)0ig~~60_57[1].jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps