lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
Soccercat55
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G29 controller issue?

I have a Yamaha G29 48 volt cart; (I can't determine what year due to no identification sticker or plate on the cart anywhere, 07-10). The cart looks like it has batteries in the orientation of a G22 though. The reason for this thread is because when I picked up the cart I had to do some maintenance items on it and I replaced the battery cables with 4 AWG auto battery cable. Since that time I have noticed the red insulation changing color to black; (I'm assuming this is heat build up). I became concerned with this and I found a company in Georgia to make me a set of cables in 2 AWG welding cable. I installed them and tested the cart in the garage in forward and reverse approximately 1 foot in each direction and all seemed OK. I backed out of the driveway to go on a "death run", I put in forward and I then felt a slight surge and then nothing. I pushed it back into the garage and checked connections and all seemed OK. On closer inspection of the solenoid I did see some pitting on the contacts (1 1/2 years old) so I replaced it and that did not solve the problem. I tried the old set of cables again and that failed to work also. Pedal switch appears and sounds like it is in good working order too. I am running what looks to be the stock controller and the motor is a 3.48 HP Hitachi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
One disclaimer; I am not very good with electronics, ie: testing, etc. so dumb it down a bit for me at the beginning. Thank you for reading this and hopefully hearing back on this thread.
Soccercat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G29 controller issue?

Having two of these carts (an 09 and 12) I can tell you that both the Hitachi motor and the Moric controller are prone to fail. Motor brushes could be your failure. It probably has nothing to do with your cable changes assuming you got everything connected back the way it was. I was able to revive one of my motors by replacing the brushes. (Amazon) You might want to try that first. Does the solenoid click when you press the pedal? If not, then you need to troubleshoot that circuit. There is a 3 amp fuse that protects that circuit. If the solenoid clicks and the cart doesn't move at all, then I would first suspect the motor brushes. ALso, does the reverse buzzer work when you put the cart in reverse???? The controller does that so if the buzzer is silent, the controller is probably the problem.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Soccercat55
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha G29 controller issue?

Thank you for your reply and helpful tips. The problem ended up being the controller. I found a company back East called Cartszone and spoke with a man that goes by JC; he was very helpful and set me up with the Alltrax XCT 48500 and a 3 amp diode for my controller. The total cost delivered to Palm Desert, CA. was $535.80 which I thought was reasonable.

Bottom line is two people. one golf bag, stock motor, up graded solenoid, new controller with 2 AWG welding wire battery cables on three year old batteries equals 24 MPH on flat ground.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I'm new to this, but a 500a controller with the stock motor doesn't sound right...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I upgraded to 500 amp Alltrax back in 2016 and my stock motor lasted a couple months. I now have a D&D motor and it runs nice and cool compared to the Hitachi motor. I recommend limiting the current to 350 amps with the stock motor to make it last a bit longer. If your cart is over 10 years old, the Hitachi motor at least needs brushes.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Soccercat55
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the AMP advice; It has been detuned for now to 400 and all seems good for now. The first quarter of next year I'm hoping to upgrade the motor to a PQ Street Riot along with upgrade on the tuning of the controller to 500 AMP and then in the second quarter upgrade to a lithium battery.
That should make driving around the neighborhood and to my ball on the course a little more entertaining.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha