lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
JustJack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2005 PDS Speed Increase Advice

I'm relatively new to the golf cart world. I've owned my 2005 EZ Go for a few years and I believe it's mostly stock. It does have the freedom chip, new batteries (6x6VDC), and slightly larger than stock tires.

The cart goes 19 mph (validated using a GPS and also by passing the fleet of RVX carts at my home course). My question is...what's my next logical step to get the cart to about 25 mph? I'm aware that once I hit the low/mid 20s, I'll be back on this site with an updated question on how to get to the mid/high 20s.

The cart is predominately used to play golf (on a slightly hilly course that doesn't get too busy on weekdays) and the torque in Freedom mode is a strain when parked at the bottom of the hill.

My goal is to play 18 holes in about 90 minutes...and I just need a wee bit more speed without compromising any more torque. Or, preferably, more speed and more torque.
JustJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 PDS Speed Increase Advice

Welcome to BGW!

With 18.4" tall tires, I get about 19.5 MPH with a Freedom chip, and no noticeable loss in torque.
(2% theoretical loss over the stock Carlisle Links, which are 17.4" tall.)

In Freedom Mode, the PDS controller limits motor RPM to about 4,400 RPM, so the only way to increase speed is change the final drive ratio.
That can be done either by increasing tire height or going to numerically lower gears in the differential.
However doing either will also reduce torque.

To get into the mid-20's without loosing torque, you will have replace the stock PDS controller with an aftermarket on that does not limit motor RPM.
IE: An Alltrax DCX400PDS will get you into the mid-20's and give you about 1/3 more available torque because you'll increase the max Amps by 1/3. (300A Stock PDS to 400A)

To go faster than that, you'll have to change the final drive ration and/or increase the battery pack voltage.

----------------
Sepex motors don't have quite as much low end torque as series wound motors, but the trouble you are having climbing a hill from a stand still, may be a high current cable issue.
I had a noticeable increase in low end torque when I installed 2Ga cables (all 10 of them).

If any of the high current cables or connection are getting hot, electrical energy that should be converted to torque by the motor is be converted to heat and wasted.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Go here > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Scroll down to controller pkg #808 for PDS carts. I just put this pkg. on my wife's PDS cart and it goes 25mph on slightly larger than stock tires with a big increase in torque.
We did upgrade eight of the 6g cables to 4g. That brings all the high amperage cable up to snuff. Run time is still about the same, depending upon who is driving. LOL

Naturally, I couldn't leave well enough alone.
Here is a link to that same cart being converted to 42 volts using the same Pkg #808 and one extra battery mounted under the drivers seat.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...onversion.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
JustJack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB and scottyb...thanks a million for the replies! Everything you two said makes perfect sense (in theory) and I REALLY appreciate you telling me about actual tried and true applications.

I was chatting with the guys from the local course and they mentioned larger tires and/or changing the gears to 8:1 or 6:1. Since I'd rather not lift the cart to accommodate the larger tires (and run the risk of them telling me my cart is no longer suitable for the course), that only left me with their gear change option. There are 3 or 4 occasions where I have to start at the previous green and drive up the hill to the next tee. If I lowered the gear ratio, I honestly feel that I'd have to make a U-turn...go back 100 yards...and make a running start at the hill ala Evel Knievel...LMAO.

I'll take a look at the links you provided, but it definitely sounds as though the controller/cable upgrades sound like the way to go. I'm going to assume that performance details for the 42volt set up are provided on the link, but... Is there any real issue with adding a new 7th battery to a set of batteries that are now 8 months old? I know it's not a good practice to replace just one battery when they're starting to get old...but what about the addition in this case?

P.S. when I hit 40 mph...I'm changing my name to JackieB. For now...thanks again for the replies, advice, and solutions!

Jack...JustJack. :)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
JustJack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Oops...I wasn't thinking the 42 volt set up all the way through. A 42 volt system means a 42 volt charger. Since it pained me to purchase a new 36V charger about 6 months ago, I don't see that as a cost-effective mod for my around-the-golf-course-in-90-minutes objective...LOL.

On the other hand, I felt as though the controller package link was written just for me (because I'm sure nobody else wants a little more performance from their PDS)! :)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If your batteries are in good shape you can add one new to a 1 yr old set without any adverse effects. However if you want to upgrade just the Controller, Solenoid, & cables you will be able to start at the bottom of a very steep hill and zoom up it. take a look at pkg # 808 here > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
JustJack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

scottyb...thanks for the chat on the phone yesterday. I'm looking forward to receiving/installing the controller and cables...and then go flyin' around the course. Jack
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
JustJack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty...I Installed the components on Saturday and here's what I'm seeing. The speed is faster (24 mph)...but only on downhill paved areas. On grass and flat surface, the speed is about the same as the PDS with the freedom chip (19 mph). Also...there feels to be a slight increase in torque...but still kind of sluggish going up the hills. Is this the norm (increased speed only on a decline)?

My old battery cables I replaced were all 4 gauge. I replaced them anyway. I measured 38.4 vdc at the battery pack output and all connections seem good. There is a 3-pin connector (with red, white, and black wires) I removed from the old controller that I'm assuming does not get hooked up in the new configuration. I also rechecked performance after an over-night charge...no change.

Any ideas?

Jack

Tags
help needed please, pds, speed increase
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO