lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Autos/Side x Sides/ATVs/4x4's
Autos/Side x Sides/ATVs/4x4's *No Commercial Ads

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
hotwatermusic
Gone Wild

Default street legal?

do any of you guys (and girls) have your cart tagged and registered? what does it take to get this done. i called the tag office today here in florida and they said they will only tag the bubble looking carts (i dont know what they are called). i lied and told her it had blinkers, tail lights and would do 45mphLOL. she said it was still considered a golf cart and it was a no go. is there some other catagory that my cart can fall under, as in homemade or dune buggy or something. i see some people on here are tagged. if you guys could give me some feedback that would be very cool

thanks chris
hotwatermusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
BCW
Gone Wild

Default Re: street legal?

HWM,

Excuse me for asking this ...
But why would you want to put your cart on the street ?
Im sorry , but here in our county "Lake"
There are tooooo many Nuts driveing on our roads.
For me, I wouldnt want to get out and try to mix with them
especialy in a cart. Lived here 23 almost 24 years.
Fire Chief with Lake County , now disabled...
But I ran too many calls on traffic accidents on people who
shouldnt have even had a drivers Lic. And today
alot of people dont have a Licience to drive, but they do...
If you were to get hit, their gone they wont stop to check you out...

Just currious,
BCW
BCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
DENNIS TAYLOR
Not Yet Wild

The main reason you can not register and tag your cart is: It does not have a 17 digit vehicle identification number. It can meet all the requirement for an LSV but without the vin number can't register. I have been trying to get mine registered for over a year. I live in Sumter County.

Also, as an LSV the speed is limited, 20 or more but 25 max. A regular cart is limited to 19.6 mph. A ticket here in The Villages will cost you about $200.00 if caught speeding, but the ticket will be for driving an un-registered vehicle.
DENNIS TAYLOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
hotwatermusic
Gone Wild

Hey Dennis i live in Lady Lake about 2min. from the villages and see carts with tags. this is what gave me the idea. what year is your cart? is the 17 digit limited to newer carts only? what steps have you taken thus far to still not have a tag? fill me in.... thanks chris...

BCW my parents and in-laws all live within about a mile of me. it would just be nice to ride the cart over there without the ticket.NOT SAYING I DO THAT NOW OR ANYTHING
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
DENNIS TAYLOR
Not Yet Wild

hotwatermusic, Only carts that are manufactured to be an LSV will have a 17 digit vin number. Par Car has one, Gem, and Star Think (Ford) and Club Car/GM Pathway (no longer built). All regular carts only have 10 to 13 digits. If you have a common key ignition, change it to uncommon. To easy to be stolen otherwise and no way to trace by serial number, as the numbers are not registered.

My cart is 2007 Yesteryear Coupe, Gas, Lifted 6 in, Hyd front disc brakes, Custom grille and bumpers, side lake pipes, chrome dash with tach, oil pressure, volt meter, gas guage, clock, hour meter, am/fm/cd and 69 sound horn panel. I spent about 100 hours building it. I had a 2006 Yesteryear Truck 4 seater that got totaled by a Caddy who ran a stop sign.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
BCW
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwatermusic View Post
Hey Dennis i live in Lady Lake about 2min. from the villages and see carts with tags. this is what gave me the idea. what year is your cart? is the 17 digit limited to newer carts only? what steps have you taken thus far to still not have a tag? fill me in.... thanks chris...

BCW my parents and in-laws all live within about a mile of me. it would just be nice to ride the cart over there without the ticket.NOT SAYING I DO THAT NOW OR ANYTHING
OK, Totaly understand I didnt relize you were that close to the Villages.
I know that area is full of carts everywhere and its realy cool to live near
a place like that and be able to ride in that maner.

Like where I live, Im takeing a big chance to go to the store, I wish it were
different and I could ride without looking back over my shoulder all the time.
Some of the cops are purty good, but others are .... well you know

Hope you get it leagle soon ...

BCW
BCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
hotwatermusic
Gone Wild

thanks BCW me too!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

For what its worth - our HOA put out a letter (Golf Course Community) stating that "the same rules applied to driving a golf cart on the street as to cars." I took that to mean - lights, brake lights, signals, no open containers, stop at stop signs, ect...

I'm in Orange County FWIW.
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
DENNIS TAYLOR
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
For what its worth - our HOA put out a letter (Golf Course Community) stating that "the same rules applied to driving a golf cart on the street as to cars." I took that to mean - lights, brake lights, signals, no open containers, stop at stop signs, ect...

I'm in Orange County FWIW.
The same applies here in The Villages except that you cannot drink in your cart when parked. Since we have two squares that have entertainment every night, people like to sit in their carts watch and drink but is illegal. Most main streets have cart lanes or cart paths along side. LSVs can run on the streets that are 35mph or less. They can cross faster streets at intersections. We have a lot of tunnels under the major streets that are over 35 mph speed limits.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
hotwatermusic
Gone Wild

if you see a big blue yamaha at lake sumter landing or spanish springs you better come say hi dennis..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Autos/Side x Sides/ATVs/4x4's