lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
mightyexplorers
Not Yet Wild

Default Need New Controller? Talk me down from or over a ledge

So I have been around here for a while but this is my first post.

I have a 2004 Club Car Precedent that is all pretty much stock. Other than some different wheels, paint and a rear seat.

This past fall and spring it started to die on me. At first it was that when you put it in forward or reverse it might go a few inches then cut out. Then it would be fine for a while (seemed to do better in warm weather) Not is mostly doesn't go. Sometimes I can reset the tow run switch a few times and it will go a bit.

Batteries are 4-5 years old but seem to have and keep good charge and when it does decide to go it has no power issues. Initially I replaced the solenoid but that didn't make a difference.

Would you all agree that I am probably looking at a controller issue? or could it be something else?

Assuming it is the controller I was looking at a replacement Navitas 440 DC controller. That might be a simple enough fix.

but then here is where I came to the edge. I thought if I am going to replace the controller anyway that maybe I should go with the 600 amp controller instead and be ready to replace motors down the road. It is my understanding that I can possibly dial down the amps in the controller to save the stock motor.

but then if I am going to go to 600 amps I thought well AC might be nice and why make this multiple projects when I could just do the whole conversion with new controller and motor right now. Of course this option is about 4 times the prices of the 440 amp controller.

So does anyone have an opinions? if it is not the controller great I am off the edge. Would it be better to just stay with the lower controller would I regret going all out?

Thanks for any advice.
mightyexplorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Need New Controller? Talk me down from or over a ledge

Which battery arrangement does your cart have? 4x12v?
Typically the 12v batteries only last about 4 years, but it depends on usage and charging habits.
The problem with any power upgrade is it puts more load on the batteries, and any battery pack more than a few years old will have a much more noticeable decrease in run-time due to the loss of capacity as the battery ages. The 4x12v packs are especially prone to power problems after upgrades because they already have a lower capacity to start with.
Basically, if you’re thinking of upgrading controller and motor, your battery pack will be the next weakest link and you’ll pretty soon be replacing that as well.

It’s not often that controllers work intermittently, usually they tend to fail in such a way that either the cart is not driveable at all, or that only one direction will work. Your symptoms sound more to me like a bad connection or corroded wiring, or possibly something as simple as a bad FnR switch, or bad Run/Tow switch, both of which are common failures in the Precedent model.
Its also is common in older wiring harnesses to have corrosion problems somewhere inside the harness at some of the welded splice connections, which are usually difficult to find without opening up the loom and breaking down the entire harness.
I wouldn’t be too quick to blame the controller, because there are plenty of other things that can cause the cart to not work. But if you’re dead set on doing an upgrade, it would be good practice to go ahead and replace the harness, and depending on what you want to do with the cart it might be a good idea to upgrade to a higher capacity battery pack as well.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the Navatis AC conversion on a precedent last week and was impressed! Speed (25+) and all the torque and acceleration you want and that was with the 4kw set up and stock wheels. Pretty much a plug and play installation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm leaning towards battery capacity. Do a complete charge, let rest about 8 hours. Post pack voltage AND each battery voltage (include decimals). Hook digital voltmeter to each battery (with zip tie or alligator clip) and drive down the road. Post what each battery reads with a load on it. That will tell us what battery condition you have. You can replace controller, etc if you want, but you still going to replace batteries if they are bad. They are like me, getting older.....I work a little bit, have to rest, work a little bit more. Can't do what I did when I was new.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
mightyexplorers
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the replies.

I did some more troubleshooting last night.

First I wondered about the OBC so I jumped the blue and white wire on the harness (which as I understand will bypass and eliminate a possible lockout. Interestingly when I did that it the cart moved a bit. like 20 feet before it stopped working again.

I checked voltages all the batteries read 12.6 I can't remember the total off the top of my head but it was like 50 something. I will check again this afternoon.

I did wonder about the FnR or the Tow run switches. as it seems to work after messing with those switches although I wasn't sure if that was because I was resetting the controller or the switch. I can try testing those tonight as well. I didn't see any obvious signs of any wire corrosion. but I didn't look under the tow run switch.

Is there a way to test that the controller is getting power?

I do plan to update the controller at some point and know that batteries will need to follow. If it is something other than the controller though it would be nice to know before ordering.

When I do upgrade I am debating over taking it a step at a time and updating the controller then later the motor, in that case I would probably stick DC.

also still flipping between navitas and alltrax. the feature I like about the alltrax is the ability to install a switch for changing between user modes. That seems a safer way than allowing the kids to mess with dials on the on the fly programer with the navitas. I know I can lock it out. but I like presets. I wonder if it is possible with navitas to install a mode change switch vs the on the fly programmer?

Plan is to update controller with something.
Then update motor
Batteries when needed
Lift probably 3-4"
I have nice 10" wheels with 18" tires but will probably go to like a 22-23" tire after lift.

thank you for the help.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
Nutshell
Gone Wild

Club Car

I played around with different motors and controllers and ended up with Navitas AC. Buy once, cry once. Great system and the motor can spin up to 9k RPM. Now that I have lithium, I can hit 36.
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
mightyexplorers
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I did more testing.
12.6 on each batter 50.6v on the pack. 4 12volt setup.
I tested the two run switch. I tested the FnR switch both seem to be operating fine. The wiring looks ok with no obvious signs of corrosion.

could the MCOR be a possibility? Messing with the pedal occasionally I still get the solenoid to click and the cart moves a bit but I can't tell if that is related to the pedal or the fact that something just decides to work at that moment in the controller.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Test each battery under load, this will eliminate them as the problem. Work your way out from them...testing as you go. You get spend a lot of money guessing.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #9
mightyexplorers
Not Yet Wild

Ok I have a little more information
Today after sitting off the charger about 2 days I took another voltage reading on the pack at 50.6. After flipping the switch to run mode The cart actually moved for a bit. I was able to take it on a short run and monitor battery pack voltage. Going wide open up a slight hill pack got to about 45.7 v. When I was turning around the cart stopped working again. Occasionally the solenoid would click. When not running then I was measuring about 49.8.
I was not able to test each individual battery.
I did notice when bringing the cart back coasting down hill that if I put it in run the Regan would kick in.
When I got it back I also tested the key switch which was good. Even when not working the backup alarm will sound when put in reverse. ( I had that disconnected but reconnected to check it)

Not sure where my next steps are to look. The batteries seem, not new, but not so low they would be causing the issues I am having. Any advice I much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That sounds like the batteries are OK. Maybe not in great shape, but certainly not the cause of this issue.

If the solenoid only occasionally clicks, that can be because of a failing MCOR, which is the throttle device on the Go pedal.
On the side of the MCOR are two plugs, one with two wires and one with three wires.
The two wire plug is the switch that tells the controller to activate the solenoid. That switch will be normally Open (open with pedal Up) and will close when the pedal is pressed.
Pull up the floor mat on the drivers side, and remove the access cover behind the pedals. Remove the two wire plug, wire colors are Blue and Green. Test the pins in the MCOR with the continuity test function, or ohmeter. You should have continuity with pedal down, and No continuity with pedal up.
If you press the pedal down and have no continuity, or ohmeter shows high resistance, the MCOR switch is bad, and the MCOR must be replaced.

You can also test the MCOR by checking voltage on pin 6 at the controller.
With the rear wheels of the cart raised off the ground, voltmeter set to 100v range, or auto range, Red meter probe on pin 6, and black meter probe on B- terminal.
Key On, press the Go pedal, you should get 48V at the pin. If not the MCOR may be failing, or there could be a poor connection in the wire harness between the MCOR and controller. Repeat the test At the MCOR connector and see if you get higher voltage directly at the MCOR. If voltage is higher here the harness has corrosion at one of the connections somewhere in the harness.
If same voltage, Make sure 48V is going into the MCOR on the Blue wire. If 48v present at the Blue wire, and lower voltage is coming out on green wire, the MCOR is bad and should be replaced.

Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car