lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
stjames4xl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 420 Predator/92 ezgo Marathon

Finally got back to work some on my 420/Marathon swap. After fighting a few rusted in place bolts I finally got the old Robin engine out so now I can move forward. I've been told I will have to do a 4" lift for this to be successful. That's not what I wanted to do but my question now is what options do I have? Is there a source for coil spring replacements or can I just make/buy some lift blocks? Shocks?
stjames4xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 420 Predator/92 ezgo Marathon

Most clone swaps can be done without a lift. I would sit the engine down in there and see what kind of clearance you have first.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts says in their installation manual a 4" lift is required. You can certainly go to their web site and view the step by step installation guide.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
stjames4xl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Vegascarts says in their installation manual a 4" lift is required. You can certainly go to their web site and view the step by step installation guide.
Thanks guys

I viewed their online instructions and it simply says it will need a 4" lift, no real details. I've actually entertained the Idea of modifying the cradle and motor plate so the motor would sit lower. That would open up another can of worms though so I guess I'll just lift it.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I didn't know if you were aware of the VC site. In case you weren't thought it might have been of some help
Old 06-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #6
stjames4xl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ordered some 14" springs today and I can get shocks local so once I get them installed and do a mock up with the engine I'll get out the welder and make the front lift spacers.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I mean if you don't want a lift, there's likely a way to get the engine in there without one. I've seen guys put Vtwins in carts without a lift. It can be done, but not with bolt on parts. I think Vegas Carts requires a 4" lift for "their kit", doesn't mean everyone needs a 4" lift to accommodate a larger engine, just saying.

On the other hand, lifted carts look really cool so...
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

One note here. Vegascarts likes as much as is reasonable not to use a lift on there installs. The big push on the 625 was more torque and no lift on many carts. BUT as we all know here you can make anything fit if you are willing to do the fab work. Somewhere out there there is a LS powered cart and a turbine powered cart. P.S. I have seen where people built a box made with 2 x 4's to raise the seat on some of the bigger Vtwin builds. Not the neatest solution but probably the cheapest. P.P.S On page 10 of my sled build I had to space the front of the body up 2"s to clear the sled engine. I used clay to figure out what the minimum amount to space the body up.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
stjames4xl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I mean if you don't want a lift, there's likely a way to get the engine in there without one. I've seen guys put Vtwins in carts without a lift. It can be done, but not with bolt on parts. I think Vegas Carts requires a 4" lift for "their kit", doesn't mean everyone needs a 4" lift to accommodate a larger engine, just saying.

On the other hand, lifted carts look really cool so...
I didn't really want to do a lift but for the use the cart will see it's not a bad idea and I could use 22" tires which would be suitable for the terrain. I was hoping to buy the spacers/pedestals/blocks for the front to save me some time fabricating them but so far all I can get is a complete kit. The rear coils and shocks were easy to source as were the longer front shocks and all I need now is 2 of the 4" spacers for the front.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #10
stjames4xl
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
One note here. Vegascarts likes as much as is reasonable not to use a lift on there installs. The big push on the 625 was more torque and no lift on many carts. BUT as we all know here you can make anything fit if you are willing to do the fab work. Somewhere out there there is a LS powered cart and a turbine powered cart. P.S. I have seen where people built a box made with 2 x 4's to raise the seat on some of the bigger Vtwin builds. Not the neatest solution but probably the cheapest. P.P.S On page 10 of my sled build I had to space the front of the body up 2"s to clear the sled engine. I used clay to figure out what the minimum amount to space the body up.
LOL!!!

I gave some thought to the 2x4 trick myself. I'm all in now though so I'm moving forward. Before I retired I had access to a plasma cutter and could have made short work of cutting out the plates I need but I'm limited to light cutting/welding/drilling now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!