lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrade Controller for More Torque?

Have a new MotoEV golf cart (which is basically an ICON i60L rebranded). We have some pretty steep hills around us and with only my wife and I in a 6 seater it only goes maybe 8 MPH up a hill, I'm curious if it would even make it up with another couple passengers, much less 4 more passengers. So, I was curious if the 4kWh motor it came with can take a higher amperage controller, like a 450 perhaps and not cause detriment to the motor longevity or burn it up. I know I would need some cables and solenoid, but curious about the actual motor if it can take a higher amp controller. And if so, any idea of torque increase from going to the stock 350a controller to a 450a? At the same time, ideas/estimates on increased battery drain from doing this? I went from gas to electric so it was street legal, and miss the fact that a tank of gas could go a couple hundred miles so my biggest struggle is the hills and limited lifespan of driving around with electric. Anyone have info or advice? This is only about a week old so really don't want to replace controller AND motor, and I know a larger motor will definitely increase battery drain.
sgremp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgrade Controller for More Torque?

Navitas makes a 600A controller for the icon. Ive made a post about this but have had no responses. I’m not sure of anyone yet giving it a shot but in my discussions with Navitas seems very promising, even with the stock 4kw motor. An ultimate solution would be the stock 5kw motor with the Navitas 600A controller

https://www.navitasvs.com/tac2
Chris4851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

I saw this post and started researching a little yesterday, but haven't finished. I now have a 5kw cart and a 4kw cart and I compared the software motor attribute settings and they're identical, which leads me to think the electric motors may be the same, just the controller is swapped out, but I need to crawl under both carts and inspect the motors closer.

If they're identical motors then upgrading the controller should work just fine. I've been too busy to crawl under though, but when I do I'll update.

@chris4581 - what thread? And navitas makes one sourdough for the icon with wiring harness??
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

I was looking around online today, and see the Navitas 600a controller, but I checked a few websites and seems the ICON version of this is sold out everywhere...maybe they don't make it anymore or maybe just sold out and there will be more soon, not sure yet. If they don't make them anymore, does anyone know of a comparable controller for the ICON? It seems a lot are specific to makes/models and this was the only ICON version I could find, but sold out. It also mentions in the description you can use the same 4kwh motor, solenoid, and cables, which would be great but not sure if accurate since everywhere else I have looked it always says to get 2g cables and HD solenoid...without any dealers nearby I'm sort of limited to what I can get delivered and somewhat of a plug and play system which seems like the Navitas was.

ICON Advanced EV Navitas 600-Amp 48-Volt AC Upgrade TAC2 Controller Kit W/Bluetooth
Old 06-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

@ATrain https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=176133

The Navitas controller looks complete just like their other systems.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

I just emailed Navitas, they said the product is still available however the demand is far exceeding production. I’m sure there is also component shortages affecting production. Either way this is a good sign, hopefully people start getting this controller in and we can get some knowledge!
Old 06-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

I’m ordering one this week, the person at plum quick I’ve been talking to said he has them in stock, and I was asking about the 4g cables and need to upgrade to 2g, he said I should be fine with 4g which seems to contradict most advice so I’ll be double checking to make sure, but between delivery, vacation, and installation/testing it might be a few weeks before I have any feedback, going someone else chimes in in the meantime with some results of doing it to their icon.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Chris4851
Not Yet Wild

Very interested to see how this upgrade goes. I may pull the trigger after my vacation.

@sgremp What did Plum quote for the 600a controller. I’ve seen them online for right around $1,000
Old 06-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
sgremp
Not Yet Wild

he needed the model info for my current one, I sent over Friday night so figure I'll get more info sometime today, if not I'll follow up tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
DM3
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know if we’ll need to upgrade the solenoid when going to this 600 amp controller? I’ve seen folks upgrading their solenoid when installing Navitas controllers but those installations weren’t for an Icon of course so wondering if anyone knows if we would need to get a bigger solenoid when adding the Navitas to an Icon? Thanks in advance for any insight someone can offer!
DM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon