lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
quadracerx
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley Cart Tiller to Steering Wheel Conversion

Hey Guys...

My Harley Cart restoration continues... I got it running again and it turns out it was a bad solenoid... Good news is it now has a clean and rebuilt Starter Generator...

I want to get rid of the "Tiller Steering" and convert it to a regular Steering Wheel.... Anyone know what parts are required? Ive seen a few 3 Wheel Harley's with a Steering Wheel but they were electric and not gas....

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks,

Steve
quadracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley Cart Tiller to Steering Wheel Conversion

I think you would have to find a donor cart that had a steering wheel. HD's with wheels especially the 3 wheelers didn't appear to ever be that popular. I don't think gas or electric would make any difference as far as the steering.

I suspect it was at least partially a cost thing. I never saw a vintage price list but I suspect it was something like a 3 wheel with tiller cost say $500 and to add the steering wheel option was maybe another $200 so $700 total and maybe you could jump all the way to a 4 wheel cart for $800 so if you wanted a wheel maybe you just went 4 wheel. Remember that most of these were bough by golf courses and during most of the HD era tillers were the norm so besides being less expensive they were just normal.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I think a direct tiller to steering wheel conversation really isn't possible as-is. The rear end of those carts types are identical but the front ends might as well be 100% different. To 73eldo's point, you'd be better off getting a "steering wheel" HD and putting your motor in it.

Now, I have seen a few conversions where people pop off the tiller and attach a steering wheel onto the tiller post. I swear I saw a photo of this somewhere but I can find it now. Essentially, the steering wheel resides in the middle of the front cowl where the tiller would have been. It's like the driver and passenger have an equal opportunity to steer the cart. It looked a little silly to me but to each their own.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I think a direct tiller to steering wheel conversation really isn't possible as-is. The rear end of those carts types are identical but the front ends might as well be 100% different. To 73eldo's point, you'd be better off getting a "steering wheel" HD and putting your motor in it.

Now, I have seen a few conversions where people pop off the tiller and attach a steering wheel onto the tiller post. I swear I saw a photo of this somewhere but I can find it now. Essentially, the steering wheel resides in the middle of the front cowl where the tiller would have been. It's like the driver and passenger have an equal opportunity to steer the cart. It looked a little silly to me but to each their own.
Not to mention it would probably be very tough to steer, having lost all the leverage the tiller affords!
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson