lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Icon I60 Speaker Noise / Whine When Accelerating

I am looking for a bit of help with my 2020 Icon I60 speaker installation, as I have hit a wall and am at my wits end.

I purchased (and installed) the below listed speaker equipment, and although it sounds amazing when the cart is stationary, there is a high pitch whine that comes from the speakers as soon as the accelerator is pressed. I have tried everything to get this to stop, such as grounding all components directly to the pack ground, installing a ground loop suppressor, and installing a power line filter. Nothing has helped.

My set-up is as follows:

2 MTX MUD65PL pod speakers
1 MTX MUD 100.2 Amp
1 MTX AWBTSW bluetooth receiver and control

I also have a RHOX 20A 12 volt reducer currently installed, and a Nilight 6 way fuse block with a negative bus. Also, if its relevant, I have a Govee LED light kit installed, which is wired into that fuse block and bus.

The wiring is as follows, and I can provide some pictures as needed (although the wiring is a mess right now as I pulled everything from their looms to try to sort this out):

Rhox reducer is wired to the 48 volt pack for source power, remote wire is wired to switch power 48 volt, and the 12 volt power and ground are wired to the fuse block.

The bluetooth sending unit is wired with positive to fuse block (its own fuse and circuit) and negative is to the bus. The bluetooth also has a remote wire, which is riered directly to the amp remote input.

The amp is wired with positive to the fuse block (its own fuse and circuit) and negative to the bus.

FWIW, the LED lights are also wired with positive to the fuse block (its own fuse and circuit) and negative to the bus.

I suspect that my issue if being caused by the creation of a ground loop, but for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to resolve it. In an effort to eliminate the whine, I tried grounding the reducer 12 volt to the pack directly with no success. I also tried grounding the fuse block bus directly to the pack, again with no success.

I am flat out of ideas, and frustrated as all heck. If anyone has any guidance or help, it would be very much appreciated because I am plumb out of ideas. Thanks everyone. I have learned so much around here, and hopefully I learn a bit more on this issue.
Idontgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #2
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: Icon I60 Speaker Noise / Whine When Accelerating

Reducers are known for EMI (electromagnetic interference).

You need one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RC5CJ8B or something similar. That's the one I used and it brought the high pitched noise down to hardly noticeable or bearable.

They're sold out, so just find something similar. You just ground it and hook it in-line with your 12v (+) to the stereo. You could even try hooking multiple up in series to see if that helps?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Reducers are known for EMI (electromagnetic interference).

You need one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RC5CJ8B or something similar. That's the one I used and it brought the high pitched noise down to hardly noticeable or bearable.

They're sold out, so just find something similar. You just ground it and hook it in-line with your 12v (+) to the stereo. You could even try hooking multiple up in series to see if that helps?
Thanks for the help. When you say hook it to to the 12v + to the stereo, should I connect it to the bluetooth controller (receiver?) or to the amp itself? Maybe both?
Old 05-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontgolf View Post
Thanks for the help. When you say hook it to to the 12v + to the stereo, should I connect it to the bluetooth controller (receiver?) or to the amp itself? Maybe both?
Most likely just the amp, but I think I installed mine directly out of the reducer and it filters the entire line. The way I think it works is...

The bluetooth controller is most likely just communicating directly to the receiver and sending commands (play/pause/etc).

The receiver is paired to your phone and is receiving controller commands (and sending to your phone) and receiving a digital audio signal and outputting an analog input signal to the amp. That analog signal may have some EMI.

The amp is drawing a bunch of power and boosting everything up and that's where the EMI from the reducer is more apparent.

So the EMI exists throughout the 12v+ line coming off of either reducer, that's why I just do it directly off the reducer. Doing the amp alone though might improve/solve it though because it's either you put it at the front end (reducer) or tail end (amp).

The tail end however is your amp, which has 2 things coming in (1) power directly from the reducer and (2) an analog signal from the bluetooth receiver that may have EMI. It may not though because the digital->analog would most likely not be impacted by EMI, where the amp is just taking battery power (with EMI) and pumping it into the analog signal (with or without EMI).

You could just hook it up in various spots and see if it improves or works better in either of those configurations. I'd start with inline directly out of the reducer

I even tried these ferrite rings (https://www.amazon.com/XShine-20pcs-...dp/B08B4QNV8C/) but they didn't do much, but I also probably didn't put much effort into them as I received both parts at the same time.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Most likely just the amp, but I think I installed mine directly out of the reducer and it filters the entire line. The way I think it works is...

The bluetooth controller is most likely just communicating directly to the receiver and sending commands (play/pause/etc).

The receiver is paired to your phone and is receiving controller commands (and sending to your phone) and receiving a digital audio signal and outputting an analog input signal to the amp. That analog signal may have some EMI.

The amp is drawing a bunch of power and boosting everything up and that's where the EMI from the reducer is more apparent.

So the EMI exists throughout the 12v+ line coming off of either reducer, that's why I just do it directly off the reducer. Doing the amp alone though might improve/solve it though because it's either you put it at the front end (reducer) or tail end (amp).

The tail end however is your amp, which has 2 things coming in (1) power directly from the reducer and (2) an analog signal from the bluetooth receiver that may have EMI. It may not though because the digital->analog would most likely not be impacted by EMI, where the amp is just taking battery power (with EMI) and pumping it into the analog signal (with or without EMI).

You could just hook it up in various spots and see if it improves or works better in either of those configurations. I'd start with inline directly out of the reducer

I even tried these ferrite rings (https://www.amazon.com/XShine-20pcs-...dp/B08B4QNV8C/) but they didn't do much, but I also probably didn't put much effort into them as I received both parts at the same time.
Thanks for all the advice. I have a small inline power filter from another brand and another attempt to resolve this at home, so I am going to wire that one into the bluetooth controller line, and I will get the one you recommended for the amp side. That should give me a good shot at seeing what is going to work.

Ill make sure I come back to update, as I am sure I won't be the only person with this issue.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quick update. Some good news and some bad. I was able to install the inline power filter ATrain suggested. I placed it between the fuse box and amplifier. Unfortunately, there is no change. Regardless, I am going to keep it installed since I think it’s good to have anyway, and isn’t hurting anything.

I also removed the 12v reducer. It was unnecessary and made no reduction to the noise, so out it came.

The good news is that I think I am narrowing down on the problem. I pulled all wires out of their looms and started to isolate wires and connections to see what I could find. I also checked for good continuity and conductivity with my multimeter.

I think my issue is coming from the RCA cables that came with the speaker kit. When I disconnect the RCA connections from the amp, there is still a very, very small whine, but nothing nearly as bad as when the RCA cables are plugged in the amp. To make sure it’s not the Bluetooth source unit, I disconnected from it and plugged the 3.5mm Jack into my laptop and the wine was still very loud. That tells me the issue is the RCA cable and that makes sense since it’s unshielded. I suspect it’s acting like an antenna and picking up EMI.

I ordered some different RCA cables from Amazon that claim to be shielded, so hopefully that will show some improvement.

I also changed the grounding set up, running a short 10 gauge wire from the fuse box bus right to the negative on the pack. That should provide a much more consistent ground.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New RCA cables arrived today, but no change when installed. I swear this audio system will be the death of me.

I have narrowed down the issue to the MTX Bluetooth sending unit. It has to be the component introducing noise. When I plug my phone in the 3.5mm jack, there is no whine at all. Everything plays clear and loud, and no whine when accelerator is pressed. At least now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but man has this been a freaking chore.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I spoke with MTX technical support today, and it was not helpful. Basically, I am on my own to try to troubleshoot this since it is not an intended installation. Looking back, I would recommend selecting a different system. When it works it sounds great, but its not worth all of this issue. I am certain I would have avoided this headache if I went with a soundbar, and I would have spent the same amount of money and had a much easier installation.

With all of that said, I am committed to making this work, so I am going to try a different bluetooth source unit, which I think will solve the problem.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #9
ATrain
Gone Wild

I still wouldn't give up on the filter. I placed it directly inline of the 12v+ from the onboard reducer, under the right side of the cart where the lines run in the corrugated plastic channel, then I just loosened a bolt on the cart and grounded the filter underneath there.

Your issue could be the power going to the bluetooth rocker switch.

My setup is similar and I'll explain what I experienced to see if it helps you troubleshoot.

I have a Kenwood (KAC-M1824BT) powering my speakers. My controller is powered by the amp, so it's different than your rocker switch.

Before the filter, when I had the cart + amp on, but no music playing, I would hear a high pitched noise through my speakers when driving.

When I'd play BT music, it was muffled because of the music. If I played AUX music, it was less pronounced. This makes me think the EMI could be interfering with the bluetooth somehow.

When I hooked the filter up, the noise dropped significantly to where I barely notice it at all.

I looked up your rocker switch, and it receives power from the cart and your amp receives power from the cart separately, so both of those should be filtered, that's why I say drop it inline directly after the 12v+ reducer.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Idontgolf
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I still wouldn't give up on the filter. I placed it directly inline of the 12v+ from the onboard reducer, under the right side of the cart where the lines run in the corrugated plastic channel, then I just loosened a bolt on the cart and grounded the filter underneath there.

Your issue could be the power going to the bluetooth rocker switch.

My setup is similar and I'll explain what I experienced to see if it helps you troubleshoot.

I have a Kenwood (KAC-M1824BT) powering my speakers. My controller is powered by the amp, so it's different than your rocker switch.

Before the filter, when I had the cart + amp on, but no music playing, I would hear a high pitched noise through my speakers when driving.

When I'd play BT music, it was muffled because of the music. If I played AUX music, it was less pronounced. This makes me think the EMI could be interfering with the bluetooth somehow.

When I hooked the filter up, the noise dropped significantly to where I barely notice it at all.

I looked up your rocker switch, and it receives power from the cart and your amp receives power from the cart separately, so both of those should be filtered, that's why I say drop it inline directly after the 12v+ reducer.
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. I have one more of the in line power filter since it was the two pack that was in stock, so I will toss it in as you suggested. I have no doubt that the interference is coming from the bluetooth unit, and the power cable at that. What I do not know is whether it is a result of the power supply, or whether the ~7 foot 12+ 14 gauge wire running from the fuse bow to the unit is picking up the EMI. Either way, I feel more confident now that I will be able to find a solution, but boy has this been an annoyance.

Tags
i60, icon, noise, speaker, whine
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon