lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Dondi12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Changed all wiring to #2 welding cable

.....and the problem is still there! When the pedal is pressed nothing happens, let off and press it again she goes like a wild banshee, flying around the property. Stop for a minute try and go again it goes about half speed. Acts like low batteries but that cannot be the case. Batteries less than one year old fully charged, BRAND NEW cables from motor to controller, to batteries to solenoid and jumpers on batteries. As I said sometimes it goes fine and all of a sudden half speed or less.
No serial number on this cart previous owner removed plate for some reason.
Was told it is a 2009. It is a PDS. F/R switch is on dash. 36 volt. 22" tires with backseat, not used on road, strictly a all terrain buggie. Please help!
Dondi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Changed all wiring to #2 welding cable

I think I would start by checking every wiring connection. Get yourself a bit of dielectric grease and put a dab on each of the blade connections after cleaning them.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok, crazy questions here....but when you say "brand new" what are we talking here? Two days? Two hours? Two months? Also, did you install the cables?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Dondi12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

#2 welding cable. It's about the same size as 2 gauge wire but more flexible.
And when I attempted to give the cart a try was immediately after the last wire was installed. BTW the cart was doing this prior the any wiring changes.
When the accelerator is depressed you can hear the solenoid "click" but no response or any movement. Upon release and re-applying the solenoid again "clicks" and off you go. The problem is sometimes the cart goes normally as if nothing is wrong and other times (more than is acceptable) the cart only goes about half speed or less. Is this a solenoid or controller problem?

And yes Dave I did install the cables.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If I'm reading this correctly, when you press on the go pedal, one of four things will happen.
1. Normal operation.
2. Runs at about half speed.
3. Runs wide open.
4. Cart just sits there.

If it was just Go or No-Go, it might be the solenoid, however with the other two symptoms, it is more likely to be the controller, or the ITS.

What controller do you have, stock or aftermarket?
If it is stock, it is being abused by the 22" tires (25% taller than what it is designed to turn), and abused controllers sometimes do strange things before they give up the ghost.

To check the ITS, you will have to connect a DVM and monitor the ITS voltage to the controller to see if the correct voltages are present when the cart is misbehaving.

Clip-lead the DVM's negative test lead to the main negative terminal of battery pack (B-).
Clip-lead the DVM's positive test lead to J4 Pin-3. (Black wire)
(A short piece of 22ga, or so, solid copper hook-up wire slid into the backside of the plug will give you something to clip onto)

When the pedal is pushed until the solenoid first clicks, the voltage should be 1.0V +/- 0.3V and when the pedal is fully depressed, it should be 2.9V +/- 0.4V.
If you get those voltages while the cart is acting up, the controller is probably bad.

If you don't get those voltages, move the DVM's positive test lead to J4 Pin-4.
You should get 15.0V +/- 1.0V with pedal up or down.

If you do, the ITS sensor is bad.
If you don't, the controller is bad.

------------
Whether the controller turns out to be good or bad, you need to upgrade it to turn the oversized tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Dondi12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks johnnieB
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree it does sound like a throttle input problem but I'm inclined to think the ITS micro switch may be intermittent or damaged.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Dondi12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. I found out something interesting yesterday. This is a PDS system, whenever the pedal is pushed to the floor and the cart is going about half speed and acting sluggish I will then come to a stop reach over and switch the f/r switch to neutral and back to forward re-apply the pedal and it takes off at normal speed. It will hold that for as long as I apply the accelerator. When I let off an cone to a stop it may or may not act up again. If it does I just rock the f/r switch again and off I go. Do you think the F/R switch needs re-wiring too? Or is the problem more than that?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The PDS system is a "Fly by Wire" system. The controller does everything and all the external switches and sensors do is tell the controller what it should do.

The F/R switch simply tells the controller to send the current in the motor's field wind from F1 to F2 for one direction and from F2 to F1 for the other direction.
If the cart is going forward when F is select and and backwards when R is selected, the F/R switch is working.

Monitor the throttle input signal to the controller (J4 Pin-3) to determine if the controller is being told to turn on fully when cart isn't going at full speed with pedal on floor.

If the controller is being told to turn on fully, but isn't, the controller is most likely bad.
If the controller isn't being told to turn on fully, the ITS is most likely bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the controller is rebooting when he toggles the F&R - Sounds like the controller is bad. That's a good excuse for an upgrade!
Check out the #808 pkg new sale price here > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO