lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ezgo 2001.5 elect. forward reverse switch

Help! Cart went dead one day. Checked switches and solenoid, all good. Started tracing wires and found the bottom cable had burnt off on forward,reverse switch. Tried to take nut off and it would not come off, kept turning.
Removed forward,reverse assemble and found bad brass contact stud. replaced all 4 studs and still no go.
Anyone with a suggestion?
cashfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo 2001.5 elect. forward reverse switch

did you replace 4 studs or 8? Did you clean/replace the contact bars?when you reassembled everything did you make sure that you were getting good contact? Have you checked the connections on the motor or controller?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My suggestion is to not attempt to rebuild a burnt F/R! Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Sounds to me like it may have not been rewired correctly?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Considering a new High Amp unit should run you around $140 or so, I tend to agree with you Mike, but I was just trying to assist this person with their problem. Personally, with the elderly customers I have, I do more F&R rocker switch conversions when replacing F&R's than I care to think about.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Replaced 8 studs, all looked good. All wiring is right, contacts look good. solenoid works both ways. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would like to have a good breakdown on the f,r switch
Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is the wiring diagram... Check for a shorted out cable where they go around the battery pack back to the motor... sometimes they rub and short out there. Could have been the cause? Or a loose connection at the F&R. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3237.jpg (93.3 KB, 33 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have ohmed out across the f/r studs, everything is good and clean. I guess I will remove the cables from the motor and ohm them out.
Should the motor have any resistance across the terminals? I may have a controller problem but I don't know.
I have checked the solenoid, seems to be working ok. I mean if you jumper across the large terminals ( like we use to do to old fords) you bypass the solenoid and it should go, Right? If you would please let me know how to check the motor and controller. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OHMing out a cable tells you that the cable is continous, not that it will carry power (amperage). There is a means of doing a quick (and dirty) test to determine if it's a motor or a controller that is bad, however I would suggest making absolutely sure you are getting power through the system before going to this test.

If your meter has alligator clips on the leads, clip the black to the M- on the controller and the red to the B+ on the controller. Put the car in gear and then push the pedal to the floor. Do you get BRV (or close to it)? Did it steadily increase as you were pushing the pedal to the floor?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
cashfive
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, I spent a few hours checking wiring, all looked good. I noticed that I have + voltage on both sides of the solenoid at all times-? I took the controll wiring loose on the solenoid and even checked the supression diode. checked ok. Ohms on solenoid 114.2 I guess thats right for a 36v coil. Put everything back together and now the solinoid doesn't work. I'm not getting voltage to it. Hum! I checked and made sure I didn't put the diode in backwards and it was right. Is there any fuses or anything else in the circuit I don't know about?
Please help if you can.
Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO