lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation '00 Club Car - Possible speed controller issue?

I have a '00 Club Car DS 48v with all brand new batteries (Trojan) and 4ga. cables with proper terminals. It is the newer '00 model. 8" A-Arm/Spring lift, 27's, and back seat. Power Drive Plus with Regen II

The problem I'm having right now is when the pedal is pushed it doesn't go anywhere. The tow switch isn't on, just wanna get that question out of the way lol.

I hear one solenoid click (the left one that I believe is the ground solenoid for the motor) and the solenoid on the right doesn't click at all. I checked the voltage inputs on the solenoid and it looks as if the signal pole isn't getting the correct voltage signal to operate the solenoid. I put my voltmeter on it and it reads about 4 volts and drops to zero when the pedal is depressed. The left solenoid which operates just fine is getting the correct 48v at the pole and drops to zero (which clicks it) when the pedal is depressed.

Could this all be related to the GE speed controller? The lead that goes into the solenoid feeds into the harness that plugs into the controller. Here's a picture of the controller I'm working with:

I did test to make sure the motor works fine by bypassing the solenoid and it definitely has some serious power.

If it is the speed controller that is the issue, would this be a good upgrade controller for our setup?

https://www.cartszone.com/catalog/cart09/564.htm
jakebdb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '00 Club Car - Possible speed controller issue?

I found a few other possible issues that are simple to test. F/R switch, and the microswitch on the potentiometer. I'll test/clean those tonight and try again.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
Also, since my cart is a Regen II you can't apparently bypass the OBC to check if it's the OBC preventing the cart from running or not. I would assume that if the OBC was bad it wouldn't charge correctly.
The OBC does much more than control the charger, read this for a complete understanding on what the OBC does http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-function.html

Never ASSume
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Yeah I dug up that thread a few days ago, and it seems like it's functioning just fine. I can't really tell though unless I completely replace the OBC which is far more a pain in the *** as the speed controller. I've been wanting to upgrade the controller either way so if it isn't the controller after-all I know what 2 parts it could be after that lol. One is the solenoid and one is the OBC. I tested/cleaned all the other parts that make the cart go.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Well, the controller solved my issue with not getting any power to go to the motor at all. Now it looks as if all I need to do is replace the right solenoid (+) and I'll be in good shape. Emailed the Alltrax Inc. customer support and they're extremely helpful. Apparently the controller just bypasses the A2 solenoid completely and relies only on one solenoid to open up power to the motor.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So what they are saying is that the solenoid with the resistor coil does not have to be working to run the cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, the solenoid on the left (the A2 solenoid with resistor) is bypassed when the controller is installed.

http://www.alltraxinc.com/files/Doc1...tall-Guide.pdf

It's the Regen solenoid apparently and the white wire should be directly connected from the A2 terminal on the motor to the B+ on the controller along with the yellow cable from the power solenoid.

I believe that both solenoids are identical, so in my case I should be able to swap the solenoid out and be good to go.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Just a little update:

Got the controller all buttoned up and programmed with the laptop. I found out the power solenoid actually was pretty fubar'd internally so I ordered a MZJ-200D with the right diode and resistor. That stuff should get here tomorrow and we'll be rolling.

I'll get some updated pics of the golf cart once I reinstall the grill/running boards and the rear seat etc. For now here's what the stuff looked like after fabrication...

The trailer behind it is setup to carry 4+ kayaks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-6-08007_1_.jpg (129.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 9-6-08004_1_.jpg (138.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hey that looks pretty nice. Let us know on the solenoid?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
jakebdb56
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, it's kinda hard to make stuff salt-proof for where we have the golf cart but it seems to do alright. The trailer is now galvanized and the grill/running boards are painted with rust resistant paint. I think I put about 6 coats on them haha

I was going to go with a White Rogers 586 200A solenoid, but the tech (Chuck) from Alltrax said they haven't seen a single MZJ-200D fail so far. It was actually cheaper to get the MZJ solenoid too which was a plus. He did mention the spring rate in the MZJ is quite firmer which will ensure that the solenoid will disengage if something were to happen.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car