lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Broke down and bought a cart today what to do now?

Ok, a few days ago I was asking about some carts I was looking at and even up until last night some good folks where giving me some great buying pointers. I wasn't sure if I wanted a lifted cart, what type of cart, wheels or just hub caps, rear seat or not and the list goes on.

Finally I gave up because I was frustrated and confused on everything. So today I happened to come across a super clean 2005 TXT PDS cart. basic cart with light kit installed.

I gave up 1300.00 for it and figured I could upgrade as I see fit. did I do ok? from my many days of searching I felt like that was a real good price. if I am wrong, just tell me cause it is mine now and don't matter.

I plan on using it primarily at the drag strip when I am not racing or for the family to get back and forth from trailer to staging lanes.

SO where to start? should I automatically clean up the batteries and such and add all 4g cable right off the bat? I saw no signs of corrosion, but figured that might be best.

Not sure about a future lift but would a controller be best for some extra torque/speed?

thise speed chips, the ones that say steep hill and mild hill, is that refering to the carts ability to get up steep or mild hills?

sorry for the long post guys. I appreciate all the help so far. I can see this being addictive.
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Broke down and bought a cart today what to do now?

RonP,

IMO for what its worth, 1300 isn't bad for a clean 05. Rear seat/bat age ? Def do the cable thing and since most drag strips are fairly flat, you should be fine to start with the freedom chip;) I'm sure some of the sponsors here can help you out with these items.

Welcome to the obsession..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No rear seat and the batts are original. I will be honest. I just gave up the continued search for the perfect cart. Most of the carts this new were over 2000 and most didn't have any more options or new batts. Some of the older ones had new batts, but the carts were 8+ years old. I had decided last night that I wouldn't get a pds, but then I came across this cart.
It's mine now so I will move on with it.

I would like to get some speed out of it and torque as well as if I use it around the house, my yard has some steep areas. I wanted to keep my total budget under 3,000 as I have some race car projects going and don't need to throw a bunch of money at the cart. I figure this was I now have 1600 to throw at mods if I want.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
HDRyder
Flirtin' with Disaster

E-Z-GO

Broke down and bought a cart today what to do now?

...quickly ask the DW (Domestic Wife), if you have one, for forgiveness. You'll be better off in the long run...
HDRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Congrats on a good purchase Right off the bat I would start looking around for a new set T105 Trojans...... 5 yrs is about the average useable life for batteries. If you don't get them now, keep the purchase price of a set in the bank for next yr.
On torque and speed? Any racer will tell you can't have both. Basically you get one or the other..... go for torque and feed it more amps for a little speed gain..... or stay stock?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
K9Kev
Say What ???

E-Z-GO

I'm with Scotty, you did just fine.

On the battery issue, as Gorno will tell you, Battery cleanliness is next to Godliness... Treat your cart like you treat your race car. Get everything really super clean and then keep it that way. Get some acid remover (can buy a spray on version at any autoparts store) and spray down your batts and the battery rack. Wash is all off and get them really clean. Remove your cables (one at a time so ya don't get confused) and clean them up really nice, get rid of any corrosion. Tighten everything up and then keep it all maintained.

4 gauge cables are a good investment. I just got a new set for my cart and the factory cables do not hold a candle to the new 4's

And last..... Hey man, this is BGW !!!

WE WANT PICS
K9Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broke down and bought a cart today what to do now?UPDATE WITH PICS

Ok, here are a couple pics. Nothing special at all, but I am familiar with the need for pics

So here is my plan in the next few days/weeks just cause I am not sure what direction I want to go yet. I am open to suggestions as well.

For looks = I am going to paint the grey wheels black (satin/flat/gloss??) and then just get some nice covers for now.

might replace the gold pinstripe with black. New seat cover black/white.

maybe paint the top black

then power wise, I will probably look at a new controller and some new batts in a few months before racing starts hard again.

The batts and cables look really good, should I still disassemble and clean? The cables look pretty new, but I guess I should still replace them.
expensive kit? or build cables myself?

ok, more questions to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIC_0106a.JPG (44.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0108a.JPG (33.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0109a.JPG (47.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg PIC_0111a.JPG (42.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It looks great to me. If it's not broke, don't fix it. :-) Drive it and enjoy it before you work on it. just my 2 cents. If you want to make 4gag cables, buy a 4gag jumper cable and cut it up. For what you stated you were gonna do with it, it seems perfect.

joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
tunnelmike
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

My batteries are '04 's but the cart was privately used so their use was much more limited than on a course. They still check out fine and perform well. A good controller, H/D components in the FNR switch, H/D solenoid and 4 ga wires will leave you enough money to buy the batteries when you really need them. Good luck Mike
tunnelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like a great purchase $1,300.00 for a 2005 is less than wholesale here in DFW (and that's if you're buying 20 carts!). First things first, I always say. I've seen people go out and buy a 5 year old cart, spend all their cash on accessories, then overlook the obvious BATTERIES! Plan your project right. If cash is going to be tight, then hold off on the lift and fancy tires until you get your new set of batteries and cables.

Do your research, get the right stuff the first time. Many people have tried to go low budget, then only have to repurchase the parts again (ummm K9? - LOL).

Ask first - Buy second

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO