lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
cokerta
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Controller upgrade on 05 EZ-GO PDS

I have a lifted 05 EZ-GO PDS that is stock and may have to replace what might be a failing controller. Seeking opinions on an upgrade one step at a time as I am new to this. My terrain is flat and sometimes wet I will be using the cart for hunting and the once a week high speed jaunt to Grandmas a mile and a half down the highway.
Chuck at alltrax reccommends a DCX 500A PDS controller as the first step but I read on here that some are not a big fan of high amp controllers on PDS carts, not sure what teir reasoning was and would like to know
All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
TC
cokerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller upgrade on 05 EZ-GO PDS

Alltrax makes great controllers... but for DCS and PDS carts their controllers (DXS) eliminate the regenerative braking. SO it is possible to overspeed the motor (too high RPM) and grenade the motor flying downhill for example....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We set 2 BGWers up with PDS controllers this week. One went with the 500, but set at 80% output, and another the 400 amp. I personally like the 400 for a good all around use cart. Don't forget to order 4 gauge cables, if you haven't got them already

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
cokerta
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Mike & SB I do have 4 ga wires that was my first move and Chuck at Alltrax did recommend progamming the 500 controller to my stock motor until the future motor upgrade but right now financially I must take baby steps, just don't want to regret later.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
putman
Not Yet Wild

What kind of problems are you having with your controller? Mine is over heating at slow speed.
putman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

putman - the PDS cart was never meant to be lifted / big tires / driven at slow speeds. it is going into thermal overload - EXACTLY as designed to prevent damage. Unfortunately once you add all your options, it will only get worse.

Let me add this - The new EZGO electric ST 2+2's ARE a PDS system. The only change EZGO made was to run a factory 400 amp controller. A lifted PDS cart is great - You just HAVE to add the right controller, as the stocker will eventually fail...

Old 10-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerta View Post
Thanks Mike & SB I do have 4 ga wires that was my first move and Chuck at Alltrax did recommend progamming the 500 controller to my stock motor until the future motor upgrade but right now financially I must take baby steps, just don't want to regret later.
Unless you are going to do some serious offroading, I'd suggest the 400 amp. If you think someday you may want the bigger motor, then the 500 may be a better choice. I personally have felt that the 400 amp and stock motor are a great match.

The 500 amp will get you to 24 mph and 100%. They can pe programmed before you purchase if we know exactly what you want...

Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
cokerta
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Putman mine was overheating as well before the cart quit completely I have to replace the induction throttle sensor first (the terminals corroded off of it)before we can check the controller it may be fine but if not I am going to upgrade it. Mike I don't know what you consider serious off roading but I own 23 acres there is some swampy areas that would benefit from all the torque I could get. Eventually I would like to upgrade the motor too.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you're going to do a motor later, then go with the 500 You will also want to get a HD solenoid...

Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
uhpilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I went with the DCX500 and had it programmed down to 80% (to run like a 400 amp). I have a lifted pds also.

My reasoning to go that route over the 400 is;

1) the 500 is a little bigger heat sink = which I've read means it will help dissipate heat better while driving slow speeds. Which is about all I do, easing around the woods.

2) if by any chance my stock motor ever does go out I'll have more options or at least get more power out of an aftermarket motor. The PDS doesn't have a lot of choices as it is.

3) since I was already spending just under $500 so another $145 now was a better option for me as opposed to maybe having to spend another $600+ later if I did change motors and needed/wanted the higher amps.

If your going to stay with your stock motor (based on what I've read and been told, not my experience) I would go with the 400. You say your place is flat so stock motor and 400 should be good. I just have some hills and need/want the torque.

Mike was EXTREMELY helpful in helping me out with my controller purchase. He even called me personally to make sure he got the settings I wanted right before he had it shipped. I just did this a couple of days ago so I dont have it yet to tell you how it worked out for me but I man I cant wait.

I was torn between the 400/500 for a couple of days before I finally decided so I understand your delima.

Good luck in your decision

ps: Thanks again for everything Mike
uhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO