lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
ldo2626
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 EZGO 2PG - Disconnect Green Wire and go FAST!

Hey everyone! New to the forum although I've read quite a bit in here. Thanks for all the great info! I have an 89' EZGO with the 2PG engine. Got it for $75 not running (but its in great condition I think). Put on a new drive clutch and it worked. It broke down and about a year later put on a new (used carb), now runs great.

I have a question though.... and I don't know much so bear with me. There is a green wire going from the front of the engine compartment to the starter/generator. By chance this wire became disconnected during a ride. I noticed that when the wire was disconnected the cart absolutely flew. I'm talking huge speed increase. Although, if the cart sat too long with not being driven (about 15-30 minutes or so) then it would not start up again.

If I put this wire on a switch so I could flip the connection on and off what is the potential damage I am causing? If nothing, I would like to do it to have somewhat of a "turbo switch".

Also, probably the better question to be asking, is what does this wire do?

Thanks!
ldo2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Goat53
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 EZGO 2PG - Disconnect Green Wire and go FAST!

green wire recharges the batt ,, when it is disconnected you take the load of the generator off of the engine ,, and an 89 should have had a 3pg engine . does your drive belt run front to back or side to side ?
BTW welcome to the forum
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
ldo2626
Not Yet Wild

Apparently in 89 they switched from the 2pg to the 3pg half way through the year. The drive belt goes side to side... and the muffler is vertical under the driver side (I heard this was an indicator of the 2pg engine).

So you think its bad if you are disconnecting the charge to the battery for short periods of time if it is connected the majority of the time?
ldo2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Goat53
Gone Wild

didn't say disconnecting it was bad , just what it did . I have an 89 with the 3pg engine , and an 83 with the 2pg , and an 86 with the 2pg , and a 91 3 wheel sparkie , I like all the things around me old , like me , even the wife .
Goat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
john5297
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

check your voltage at the batt. it should not be any higer then 14.5 i have seen them run up to 19 v and have no power this will cook your batt. probly a bad voltage regulator.
john5297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast, green wire, speed, speed enhancement
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO