lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
STAGED
Not Yet Wild

Default New guy with G8A questions...

Hello all, great forum here as I have been reading for a week now. I just bought a 91 G8A and have some questions, so here it goes.....

What spark plug is best ? I have read bp4hs, br4es, and 5 's as well.

Is the drive clutch outer sheave supposed to slop around when the engine is off? In other words I can move it in and out on the shaft against the belt and pull it out towards the drivers side.

Is a .049 main jet too big(rich) for just a k/n filter? That was the smallest drill bit I had when I installed my filter. It seems to run ok but just wondering if it is too rich and there is more power/throttle response to be had by just buying the proper jet from cpp.

Sometimes it takes a couple pushes of the gas peddle to make the starter turn. If I watch it and hold the peddle it will start to turn real slow and eventually speed up and start but I think it should spin right away quicker. The battery is good (12.6v) and I have the same at the starter so solenoid is good. There is a jumper ground wire from valve cover to batt negative (I suppose to bypass the troublesome small ground).Is this a normal characteristic or are my starter brushes getting weak?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!! I will try and get pictures soon.
STAGED is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: New guy with G8A questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGED View Post
Hello all, great forum here as I have been reading for a week now. I just bought a 91 G8A and have some questions, so here it goes.....

What spark plug is best ? I have read bp4hs, br4es, and 5 's as well.

Is the drive clutch outer sheave supposed to slop around when the engine is off? In other words I can move it in and out on the shaft against the belt and pull it out towards the drivers side.

Is a .049 main jet too big(rich) for just a k/n filter? That was the smallest drill bit I had when I installed my filter. It seems to run ok but just wondering if it is too rich and there is more power/throttle response to be had by just buying the proper jet from cpp.

Sometimes it takes a couple pushes of the gas peddle to make the starter turn. If I watch it and hold the peddle it will start to turn real slow and eventually speed up and start but I think it should spin right away quicker. The battery is good (12.6v) and I have the same at the starter so solenoid is good. There is a jumper ground wire from valve cover to batt negative (I suppose to bypass the troublesome small ground).Is this a normal characteristic or are my starter brushes getting weak?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!! I will try and get pictures soon.
I use NGK-BPR2ES on all 4 cycle engines. Sounds like the primary clutch "floating flange" bushings are very worn. Running a K&N --ask Tom, he will not steer you wrong. There should not be a ground from the engine (valve cover) to battery negative on your cart. Put your volt meater on the battery/cart in neutral/puch on the pedal..if it drops to 10 or less volts-bad battery or cables. If good check with volt meter battery voltage drop at solenoid. If all checks good...starter problem. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

i bet if you unhook that ground from the valve cover it wont start. i would definitely say starter problem. i would put new starter brushes in first they are cheap.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
STAGED
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, Yeah it has full battery voltage at starter when peddle is pushed so I am gonna order up some brushes. It really isnt that bad yet ( it will start on its own, just takes a few seconds to get the starter to start spinning) I just like to have everything working properly. I couldnt find any how to's on starter brush replacement, any tips? Do I have to dis-assemble the internals or can I slide them out through the holes in the starter case once removed?

I also just found that my inner driven sheave has a nice sized "window hole" in it (nice huh) so it looks like I will be ordering a new one along with the torque spring, ramp kit and belt. Once I get everything operating properly I am going to get a wheel and tire package and paint it black and silver to match the race car.

Thanks again for all the help
Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
STAGED
Not Yet Wild

One more question, The machined sheeve that comes with the power kit, Is that the inner or outer?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha