lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
buddyrob
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 48v electric club car charging problem

I have a 2006 48v electric club car with new 2009 trojan batteries. The charger will not fully charge. For example, it stops between the 0 and the last tick on the ampmeter. I only end up getting enough power to play 8 holes of golf before the cart goes dead. I bought and installed a new charger relay, 48 volt heavy duty diode (bridge) and circuit breaker. This did bring the amp from stopping at 5 to the current stopping position between 0 and the last tick but I'm still not getting a full charge. Any suggestions on what to try next? The closest club car dealer is 2 hours away so I'm trying to try anything I can myself before making the 4 hour drive.
buddyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
sb2bb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2006 48v electric club car charging problem

OBC comes to mind. Discussed a lot on here.
sb2bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
bdmonist
Getting Wild
Club Car

Here is a link to help you troubleshoot your charger. Could be that as well. There is a section for charger shutting off too soon.

http://www.lesterelectrical.com/tech...otingguide.pdf

Have you taken any voltage readings on your battery pack after the charger shuts off? Wait about an hour, then post them on here.

If you think it's the OBC, then you can bypass it and see if it fully charges the cart.
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
buddyrob
Not Yet Wild

I believe root cause of this problem is associated with a new radio and speaker system that was installed in my golf cart by a custom stereo shop. They went directly to the battery without going through a DC converter. I had headlights, taillights, directional lights, and horn when I purchased the cart and thought I would have already had a DC converter installed that they could have gone to. In any event, I'm going to the stereo shop in the morning to confirm my findings and will order a DC converter if I don't alread have one installed. I've read 'horror' stories about explosions,etc. with DC convertors and also info about alternatively using a ON/OFF toggle switch connected to the KEY on this blog. I've even read it is good to have both. Any suggestions or cautions (aside from what has already been posted) would be appreciated. I spent $175 to have it installed by the stero shop, so I plan to buy the DC converter and have them follow the wiring diagram to re-install it correctly.
buddyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those CCs had a 12v and a 48v wiring harness .... together. It is a wiring nightmare IMHO. THere is a 12v circuit for the radio to power off of at the key switch. Have them verify that there is 12v at the key switch and take power from there? Or there is a 12v fuse panel on the frame in front of the batteries, I think.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging problem
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car