lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
mpr3369
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Kohler or Subaru engine?

Just looking for opinions. Thinking about getting a new golf cart. While looking at new ones I see the onward now comes with a Kohler engine. Haven't really messed with any of these newer carts. My current gas cart has the Kawaski engine (older). So, my question is, which is better the Subaru or Kohler engines in the newer onwards? I know there are probably differing opinions. Not trying to start an argument. Just looking for the pros and cons of both engines before I take the plunge. Thanks for your input.
Mike
mpr3369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

Default Re: Kohler or Subaru engine?

Subbed.
Kohler is a small engine giant. I never knew sub made small engines til the cc prec had em.
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Both have been having issues.
The EFI system on the Subaru engines has been problematic in the past. I haven’t heard of any recent issues but we did have members here have ECUs fail. The ECU and the throttle body/injector are matched at the factory and can only be purchased as a set to the tune of around $3,000 last I heard. Not sure if there has been any change in the design of the EFI system on those. Around the time that problem became very prevalent Subaru got out of the small engine market and CC got signed up with Kohler.

Kohler is having similar issues with electronics. Sensor problems are causing rough running/lack of power. The repair is much less costly, at least for this particular issue.
Long term reliability is still unknown since the Kohler engine setup just hasn’t been on the market for long enough to really prove itself yet.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseman44 View Post
Subbed.
Kohler is a small engine giant. I never knew sub made small engines til the cc prec had em.
Subaru sold small engines for power equipment products in the US since about the mid 1970s. Typically used in power equipment such as pressure washers, portable generators, landscape and small construction equipment.
Club Car picked them up at a bad time, as the parent company FHI was focusing more on the Subaru automobile brand. They sold the small engine division to Yamaha back in 2016... no secret why they dropped the partnership with Club Car.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #5
mpr3369
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the response. Still trying to figure out whether I should go gas (preferred) or jump on the higher powered battery platform. I believe they have a regular battery version, a higher powered version AC & the lithium powered. I wouldn't get the lithium. But contempleting the AC higher powered version. Any pros or cons any of you professionals can point out to me for gas over electric? I already have an electric ds I use around the yard & a Kawasaki powered DS I use when we go camping. I like each one separately for different reasons. But if I'm going to buy something new I just want to make sure I get the best cart for my money!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
reeseman44
QualityCarts

Club Car

You're not far from me. You can pick my brain if you'd like 631-388-1894
reeseman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3369 View Post
Thanks for the response. Still trying to figure out whether I should go gas (preferred) or jump on the higher powered battery platform. I believe they have a regular battery version, a higher powered version AC & the lithium powered. I wouldn't get the lithium. But contempleting the AC higher powered version. Any pros or cons any of you professionals can point out to me for gas over electric? I already have an electric ds I use around the yard & a Kawasaki powered DS I use when we go camping. I like each one separately for different reasons. But if I'm going to buy something new I just want to make sure I get the best cart for my money!
I say get what you like the best. That means test driving all of them.

Or, you can use the Ben Franklin method. Rate categories like :Looks, Ride, Functionality, Powerplant, Range, Maintenance. Give them all a rating of 1-10. Whichever has the most points, go with that choice.

Remember, nothing is a sure fire winner. There is always a downside with every purchase. You just have to focus on the upside. Buyer remorse should never exist.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Side note: Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru, was the manufacturer of the "Robin" engines EZGO has used for decades. Both the old 2 strokes of the 70's & 80's and the 4 stroke 2 cylinders they used from the early 90's up till 2008. I always thought it was interesting that Club Car started using that Subaru engine not long after EZGO ditched theirs in favor of the Kawasaki FJ400 - which is basically a larger displacement version of the same engine design Club Car had been using since 1992. Given the current climate of availability & shipping issues I think I would have to lean toward the Kohler just because it's a "made in USA" product.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #9
mpr3369
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not going to buy anything till probably around the middle of next year. Just trying to research so I can make the best decision. I'll continue to soul search till then. Thanks again. Reeseman I sent ya a pm.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Prazak
Not Yet Wild

Check out this thread on the problems with the Kohler engines in the CC Onwards 2019 & 2020: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ghlight=kohler

I've had the EFI and O2 sensor changed twice on my cart, and my neighbor has had them changed twice on his cart. Very frustrating.
Prazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car