lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
fred93
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Starter problem?

I have a 1993 Club Car DS and I am having a problem getting the engine started. When I press down on the gas pedal the starter seems to rotate a small amount then it stops. If I continue to hold down the gas pedal for five or six seconds the starter will rotate as it normally should and the engine will start running. Last year I removed the starter/gen and cleaned the dust out of the inside--checked the brushes (they were okay). After I reinstalled the starter/gen it seemed to be a "little" better--however it started doing the same thing again in a few days. I have charged the battery and that helped a "little" but again after a few days it is doing the same thing.

I have owned this cart for 16 years and during that time I have replaced the starter/gen at least five times.

We use the cart for hauling garden debris to a burn pit and for other garden work. We live in a hilly area, so the cart gets a lot of short trips here and there.

Is there someone that sells a better starter/gen? Or are they all about the same?

I have done some more testing with a volt meter. No load reading was 13.23 volts. Volts while starter is trying to rotate 7.43 volts (and it actually went down to 6 volts while the starter was trying to rotate). After letting up on the gas pedal the volts went back to 12 something.

I jumped the battery with my car and it finally started but it did not start right a way.

So I am assuming that the starter/gen is bad?

What so bad on them? Anything that I can fix? or is it just time for a new one?

Again, who sells a good one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016.07.17 (25).jpg (311.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7642.jpg (96.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7644.jpg (112.3 KB, 0 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Starter problem?

That is a dead battery. Battery voltage should not to below 10v while cranking. Getting down into the 7v or lower range shows the battery has very little charge capacity left.

The 13v reading at rest also shows a problem. A 12v lead acid battery should show 12.6v at rest. Voltage readings taken immediately after charging or soon after stopping the engine running will not be totally accurate.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
fred93
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
That is a dead battery. Battery voltage should not to below 10v while cranking. Getting down into the 7v or lower range shows the battery has very little charge capacity left.

The 13v reading at rest also shows a problem. A 12v lead acid battery should show 12.6v at rest. Voltage readings taken immediately after charging or soon after stopping the engine running will not be totally accurate.
Thanks for your reply.

Sounds about right--except that the starter still acted about the same even when I jumped with my car battery.

I removed the starter and found that the inside was full of dust from the bushes. I cleaned everything and installed new bushes--I will retest it tomorrow and let you know how that goes.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I had a near identical problem as you last week in my 1987 Club Car. Bought a new battery and it still had the long delay/slow crank. I was thinking starter/generator also. For at least a couple of years I've had a slight 1-2 second delay every so often but it wasn't a huge nuisance.

I removed it, inspected the brushes and the commutator. They seemed fine. There was a ton of black dust in there once I removed the end cap, and I blew that all out with compressed air (huge black cloud...lol). I then went over all of the wire connections with a wire wheel on a Dremel and put everything back together.

It's much better now. I'm back to the slight delay (1-2 seconds) and I think that still may be an internal issue with the starter/generator but it's not a big enough problem for me to worry about replacing it just yet.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
fred93
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

After cleaning the starter and replacing the brushes, things were better---however it still seems like the starter does not have the power to crank the engine over right away. I still have that delay when I press on the gas pedal--then a slight starter rotation--then a pause--then normal rotation--then the engine starts.

Still waiting for someone to tell me were I can purchase a good starter???
Old 10-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's where you can get the factory OEM Club Car starter. It's pricey but worth it from what I gather. I hear guys on here griping constantly about the quality of the cheap knockoff starter/generators that are half the price. This is where I'm going when I eventually need one:

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...l-for-club-car

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #7
fred93
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Here's where you can get the factory OEM Club Car starter. It's pricey but worth it from what I gather. I hear guys on here griping constantly about the quality of the cheap knockoff starter/generators that are half the price. This is where I'm going when I eventually need one:

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...l-for-club-car

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply.

You are correct--they are pricey, and I have no problem spending that kind of money--however, I sure would like more info about their starters. I'll give them a call on Monday and see if they can convince me to buy one.

Is there anyone out there that has used their starters for a Club Car DS?

I'd really like to is some feedback for this company!
Old 10-24-2020, 03:39 AM   #8
cpcodbuggy
Not Yet Wild

I am surprised no one mentioned this, but I would check ALL of your connections. Especially the ground to chassis. Wire brush everything, maybe a coating of dielectric grease as well. I just went thru my S/G. Cleaned, polished, changed brushes. Was night and day difference. Clean those connections
cpcodbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcodbuggy View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned this, but I would check ALL of your connections. Especially the ground to chassis. Wire brush everything, maybe a coating of dielectric grease as well. I just went thru my S/G. Cleaned, polished, changed brushes. Was night and day difference. Clean those connections
I mentioned doing a lot of this in post #4.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
Seadar
Not Yet Wild

I just replaced my starter and without the belt on the starter turns fine but once I install the belt the starter will not turn at all, could I have a bad battery.
Seadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car