lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Smile Electrical Stepdown Volt Regulator

Have read several articles about how to test a stepdown voltage regulator. My stepdown is from input of 18-60vdc to 13.8 vdc output. I can measure 50.x VDC going in but get 0 VDC on the output side? At what point should I see the 13.8 vdc? I get this with power tow switch on, tow switch off, key power on, key power off. I'm thinking the stepdown voltage regulator is fried. Just want to throw it out there to folks with a heck of a lot more experience dealing with elec power than myself. My volt reg is a servicemate/translectric SM2412-15. Thanks for reading and replies...

Last edited by ski-vail; 10-13-2020 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Change Title
ski-vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2020, 02:48 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Electrical Stepdown Volt Regulator

Model & part numbers for the reducer in question please. They're not all the same, and how they're wired is all a mystery without more details. So many variables of how they work & how they should be connected.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

The one you have, does it have 4 wires or 5?

Most of the ones I have see have 4 wires. Positive & Negative Input and Positive & Negative Output.

The ones I like to use have 5 wires. Positive & Negative Input and Positive & Negative Output, the 5th wire is for keyed power. Its attached to the ignition switch so on only when the key is on.

If yours has 5 wires then make sure that the 5th wire is getting power to turn it on. If it has 4 then check the connections and fuse, if your still not getting output power then I would agree its fried.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
ski-vail
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your replies. My model is a servicemate/translectric SM2412-15. It has 5 wires, three on one side Blue(ignition), Black(-), Yellow(+) on the input side where I am reading 50+ DCVolts. Output side wires are Black(-) and Red(+) where I am getting no readings in all of the positions mentioned in first note.
The cart runs fine. Problem is no lights, tail lights, horn, blinkers/flashers or brake lights. Just trying to debug and get to most likely area that would fix problem. I have checked or replaced all fuses that I could find in wiring of cart. Only found one blown under the front by the headlights. Replaced a 250V 15A fastblow ceramic fuse that feeds into SM2412-15 Yellow wire because I could not tell if it was blown or not. All fuses re-checked and all look good. Other than that I'm narrowing down to the SM2412-15 voltage regulator. Thanks again for your replies...
ski-vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are getting 50v between: Yellow and Black and between Blue and Black but there is no 12v output then the converter is bad.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc volt, electric, stepdown, voltage regulator, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha