lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Winch powered through converter - rabbit hole... Guru thoughts?

Ok electrical gurus... I went down the rabbit hole a couple years ago on this. At the time I could not find any options of being able to power a winch through a converter. I really want to be able to do so, as I want to save the little bit of storage area under the seat and don't want a second battery(pack) to worry about charging. In bold is an exchange I edited to get the details of someone using a converter to power a winch with a similar setup to mine.

I was not aware it was possible to utilize a converter in order to power a winch. Can you give details on what winch you have and what converter you have?

Yep, so far its been working great. I wouldnt say i've used to to pull anything heavier than the golf cart, but it has been fine.

The 2500lb Harbor Freight winch has a 50amp auto-reset fuse built into the power cable, so i sized it for slightly over that at 60amp. No problems so far with this winch, but i'd not recommend going any larger with the winch as the inrush current from the motor could easily exceed that rating.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Equipped with 2500lb winch powered by 60a dc-dc converter.

Custom built 150ah 14s Lithium Battery. Built using Chargery 16t BMS.

Is this a safe and reliable setup for powering a winch through a converter? If not, are there new products on the market for doing so?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Winch powered through converter - rabbit hole... Guru thoughts?

The winch motor should handle it ok, You just need to install a trim-pot in the throttle wires for the winch controller and adjust it to about 25% throttle or until you get around +14v between B+ and M- with no load on the winch motor.

I think the only issue is if the winch itself has any kind of electronics like a wireless receiver as the peak voltage of the PWM may cause issues with its circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That link to Amazon does not work. What converter are you using? I would like a higher current converter to use with a higher power stereo setup.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
That link to Amazon does not work. What converter are you using? I would like a higher current converter to use with a higher power stereo setup.
Here is another try for the link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQQGJWM...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I won't be adding a stereo. At most I'll add a couple light bars. This buggy will just be used for hunting and maintenance of my future property with acreage. If there is a different converter that would be recommended, I am all ears!

When I looked into this a couple years ago, I was told running a winch through a converter was not possible. Then I ran across this person, and figured maybe new products have hit the market.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I noticed that these converters are "non isolated". That is a bit of a worry. Make sure you don't ground anything or your battery will be grounded too - not good at all.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here’s one that appears to be the same brand that’s 100 amps.

https://h5.aliexpress.com/item/33044513022.html
NBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
NBE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I noticed that these converters are "non isolated". That is a bit of a worry. Make sure you don't ground anything or your battery will be grounded too - not good at all.
Could you give us more details on this please? For the electrically challenged folks like me? 😀

Thanks!
NBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBE View Post
Could you give us more details on this please? For the electrically challenged folks like me? 😀

Thanks!
Yeah, I second this request. Please?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBE View Post

Thanks!
Best explanation I can give on this is if you bolt an accessory up to say the frame and the accessories method of attachment can also be a ground you've now turned your frame into a ground for not only the accessory but also the battery pack since they share the ground connection on the converter.

If it was an isolated ground inside the unit it would have separate grounds for incoming and outgoing power. In the scenario above the frame would only carry the accessory ground and not the battery pack ground.

If I'm off on that explanation please someone do correct me.
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Read JohnnieB post here. Post number 5. Pay very close attention to his post. Read it more than once.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=53144

Old post but still applies .

He knows what he is talking about .
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium