lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Brap20
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT Upgrade Questions/Opinions

So I have recently moved into a neighborhood where the transportation of choice seems to be a golf cart. Not being new to projects and always wanting to get more performance than what OEMs offer I picked up a 2003 TXT series cart with bad batteries. I've searched around but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. The neighborhood has some steep hills in it. I'm looking for a setup with ample torque to tackle the hills with 4 adults with ease and maybe a top speed of 25-30mph. I do plan on doing a 4" or 5" lift to fit 23" tires (without the large gap around the tires) and swapping to 48v. I have already purchased a set of 4 12v 80aH lithium batteries, and 2ga wiring to make my own cables. Beyond that I'm looking for some direction as to what would be best for my application controller and motor wise. I came across the plum quick demon motor and 700amp controller for series carts. Anybody have experience with those? Or what is your setup? TIA.
Brap20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT Upgrade Questions/Opinions

Just a general comment... I know you plan on adding a lot of aftermarket motors/controllers, which is great. However, if you're saying you want the torque to make it up large hills with 4 adults, throwing on 23" tires is a direct, negative effect on your cart's torque.

Maybe keep it to a 3" lift and reduce your tire diameter a couple inches. Would result in a lot less stresses finding their way into your drive system. Also keep in mind, the tighter wheel well gap you create, the more likely you'll have rubbing under load.
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Brap20
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the loss of torque with the larger tire sizes with a pickup of a couple mph. Though mph isn’t my biggest concern I’d like to still be at 20+. I’m just trying to find someone with a similar setup and get their real opinions before I spend that much money on something. It’s not often that we have 4 adults on the cart. Usually it’s just my fiancé and myself. I would just like to make sure I have enough power when friends do come over. Anybody have experience with a setup good for a lifted cart on hills?
Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
WKUWIZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Brap - I'll watch this thread as I have a 2017 that I choose not to lift, 48V TXT, and want more speed. Looking at new controller, wires, solenoid, and motor. I believe I'll need the complete package to make it go. Would love to hear from others.
WKUWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
TXW
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Watching this thread as well. Have a 2017 Express S4 with 6" lift and 22" tires. Top speed is 17. Thinking about smaller tire size to pick up a little speed and better torque so I can pull a small trailer of kids during the holidays.
TXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ezgo has used a similar TXT chassis (platform) to build many different carts with a few different drive systems. The original poster never identified which drive system he was asking about, Series and PDS were offered in 2003. He should go here to determine which drive system the cart has > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html

The TXT48 is a Sepex drive 48v system. It is one of the best drive systems offered today. The long stack motor offers additional torque and good speed for a variety of uses. The stock undersized controller and solenoid can be replaced with an Alltrax XCT48400 control and SW180 solenoid to gain 30% more power and net 22-23 mph for a very reasonable price. This is one of my favorite carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

I've got the Demon motor, absolutely love it.

Alltrax 48600 is plenty for it. You actually don't ever use all that amperage except right off the line for about 1/3 of a second.

you will hit that speed no problem with 23" tires. I hit 32-33 with stock tires and geared down rear end (6 pass)

The weak link will be the contactor, get the one from Scotty with the magnetic breakouts, biggest available. I smoked out the SW202 that came with the kit in a month or so.

I used 48v packs out of a Honda Clarity and my jalopy will flat haul tail.
CrawfordD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

One thing to remember, the frame and steering (and brakes) are designed for a cart that runs on 18" wheels at 19mph. My cart is a 2013 TXT with 23 inch tires and a lift and it does very well up to 26mph. 27 through 30 isn't too bad. Over 30 it gets very scary very fast. Your cart will be somewhat different since your components will be different brands or diffferent condition or whatever.

Just remember you are raising the center of gravity, dropping several hundred pounds and going much faster. All of which is well outside of the original design parameters. Have fun, but be safe...

My cart is the TXT48 and it is a great cart. Love it. I have the three mode personality switch, I don't know if that's available for a series cart but it is for my sepex cart. If it is available it is a relatively cheap thing to add and I highly recommend it. I have kiddie mode, mommy mode and Moron Mode (for me...). The differences that I chose to change between each is the max RPM (a SEPEX cart has this option) to limit speed, Max Amps to limit acceleration and regen amount. I have Mommy Mode set to limit the RPM so the cart maxes at 22mph and that's plenty fast enough most of the time and the cart is fun for all of us at that speed. Max amps in mommy mode is 250. In moron mode max amps is 300 and it will pull the right front wheel off the ground whenever I want from a stop. I weigh 260lbs so the drivers side almost lifts off, but my gravitational pull means that wheel does keep contact... When you drop 300 or 400 pounds and add the effect of lithium not dropping voltage then it makes a huge difference.

$0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #9
Brap20
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey guys, thanks for the input. This project got put on the back burner for a little while but spring is around the corner so I’m revisiting this. My cart is a series cart so unfortunately no sepex motors for me. I think I’ve talked myself out of a lift and will just stick with new wheels and tires. The cart is still in its 36v form as of now but still do have the 4th lithium battery ready to go for the 48v conversion. I ended up trying the 700amp controller and have it turned down to try to save some battery life until I make the conversion. Even that is a noticeable difference that lets me know I’m going in the right direction! CrawfordD thanks for the heads up on the contractor. I’ll be sure to grab one from Scotty.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also for range remember that wind resistance is a big factor. My cart has a LOT more range at 20mph than it does at 27mph. So if you get the 3 mode personality switch from Scotty (assuming your controller is a newer Alltrax) you can set up a long range mode, normal mode and idiot mode.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!