lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #31
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: 21 Cell Leaf build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Just keep in mind a motor will use as much current as it has access to regardless if it can turn the current into rotational movement.

Once the motor can no longer turn the current into the required torque it will just convert the excess available current into heat.

You can keep the Armature amps at the maximum but lower the Battery amps to the point where You notice a performance degradation.

For Example: Armature Current=600amps, Battery Current =300 amps.
That's good to know. Perhaps that's why I didn't notice a performance decrease on post adjustment of the controller. ??
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #32
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsteak View Post
strange thing just happened. I checked the charge this morning, and the ZEVA had tripped again near full charge with a "high cell" warning. It has done this every time I charge. I reset it and plugged it back in, and after a few seconds it tripped "low cell" warning. Cell 14 (positive end of pack) suddenly went from somewhere around 4.12v to 0.008v.

Anyone got an idea what happened? I've reset the system a couple times but it still reads like that. I'm going to leave it off for a while and see if anything changes, before checking the bms wiring (which will be BRUTAL)...
Before you check the BMS wiring, manually check each cell's charge with your Multimeter. See what the MM shows vs the BMS.

If your MM shows proper voltage in each cell, then you may need to look at the BMS wiring. I'd check the BMS wires where they connect with the ZEVA unit. Those are tiny wires that are held down with tiny screws. Easy enough to not have one tightened correctly.

Once you have the cell reading figured out.....then we should look at your ZEVA settings. You should not have an overcharge warning every time you charge your pack. I've had mine for 2.5 years and never had an overcharge warning or a HV relay open up.

Dave
Old 09-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #33
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I used the dvm to check connection from Zeva pack to positive pole, and it’s ok, so it might be something in the Zeva. I’ll check Voltages when I get home. I’ll also post my settings...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #34
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

What kind of charger are you using?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #35
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, I figured this one out...

I had been adjusting some settings trying to figure out the charging issue, and the "Number of Cells" option got bumped to 15.

The touch screen on the ZEVA (mine anyway) does not work particularly well. Sometimes you touch an arrow to go to the next setting and it will change the value of the current setting instead, sometimes it doesn't register my touch, sometimes it will beep like I pressed something but do nothing; it's a little frustrating, but tolerable (unless you fail to check that nothing gets inadvertently changed, as I've just learned!)

I would like to get to the bottom of my charging issues though, it still trips "High Voltage" every time it nears complete charge. I have the settings set up as follows:

Pac Capacity: 180ah
S0C Warning: 0%
Full Voltage: 58v
Warn Current: off
Trip Current: 580A
Num Cells: 14
Shunt Size: None
BMS Min Voltage: 3.2
BMS Max Voltage: 4.19
Balance Voltage: Dynamic
BMS Hysteresis: 0.00v
BMS Min Temp: 32F
BMS Max Temp: 125F
Max Charge Volts: 58v
Max Charge Current: 15A
Stationary Mode: No

Some issues I'm finding are as follows:

The voltage readings on the screen that shows all cells simultaneously are constantly moving, even when no load is placed on the pack, which looks like its balancing itself out. I assume this is normal.

The battery graphic display that shows SoC seems to always reset to 50% during charging. This might be simply because I have to cycle the power to reset after the HV trip.

My Charger can charge up to 40A, but that trips the outlet in my garage; it's not dedicated, and my house has 40yr old wiring... I've currently got it set at 15a, which keeps it from tripping the breaker. I've tried setting the charger to 1a or 3a, to see if the weaker charge doesn't spike a cell and trip the HV limit, but this seemed to do nothing. With the charger plugged in, all the voltages spike a little. Right now, one of them had tripped the HV which is set at 4.19v, and with the charger off, the highest cell reads at 4.163v

After use, the cells are all pretty well balanced. When I initially plug in the charger, they charge up pretty darn close to perfectly together and balanced. But when I get close to full charge, there are the same couple of cells that are a bit high, and also the same couple that are low. #5 and #6 always charge particularly fast: they read 4.163 while the majority of cells are at 4.14x-4.15x, and the lowest is at 4.118...
Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #36
Tsteak
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
What kind of charger are you using?
Elcon with CAN comms to ZEVA.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #37
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsteak View Post

Pac Capacity: 180ah
S0C Warning: 0%
Full Voltage: 58v 56v-"Typically set value to just below your peak charge voltage"
Warn Current: off
Trip Current: 580A
Num Cells: 14
Shunt Size: None500amp
BMS Min Voltage: 3.2
BMS Max Voltage: 4.194.15
Balance Voltage: Dynamic4.08
BMS Hysteresis: 0.00v
BMS Min Temp: 32F
BMS Max Temp: 125F
Max Charge Volts: 58v57v
Max Charge Current: 15A16a
Stationary Mode: No
My initial ZEVA settings are listed in RED above. I'll have to look at my documentation later today in order to give you my current settings. IMHO you need to change some of your settings as I believe your MAX is really to high. I've only set my Balance Voltage to DYNAMIC on the few occasions when the cell differences have gotten to far apart....when the pack needed charged...and that "fixed" it. The Dynamic setting causes the ZEVA to constantly shunt balance and may shorten your ZEVA's useful life.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!