lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
flag
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 42v

i have an old yahmaha 36v resistor golf cart and i was told that i could add an extra battery and make it 42v and it would give me more torque and my run time would be longer. is this true or is there more i need to do
flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 42v

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag View Post
i have an old yahmaha 36v resistor golf cart and i was told that i could add an extra battery and make it 42v and it would give me more torque and my run time would be longer. is this true or is there more i need to do
You will need the capability to charge to 42 volts, that's the second step...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
flag
Not Yet Wild

if it will work i was planning on charging the extra battery seperate.i want to make sure it will work before i go and buy a battery and i dont wont to burn anything up
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Nate
Gone Wild

Make sure the extra battery is fully charged or it will run dead first and sustain damage. It will work, I don't know about longer run time but you will cover more ground in the same amount of time.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
You will need the capability to charge to 42 volts, that's the second step...
Hey Mike, I had a dealer in Il. who used to ad the extra batt. He said the OE charger worked just fine... Was he pipin' sunshine? He's no longer in bus. and we turned him to collections... But other than that, he was a jam up guy.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
flag
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everybody does anybody know what i will do for torque thats really what im after because i will be using it in the woods and want to put on bigger tires
Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Hey Mike, I had a dealer in Il. who used to ad the extra batt. He said the OE charger worked just fine...
The charger would work, it would charge the 42v pack to 36v and stop. There would be no benefit, and ALL of the batteries would be UNDER charged. It's little wonder he is out of business.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Added amperage will increase torque IF you can access it ( your controller is not too small). But your's is prolly an older resistor cart? In which case you will see an increase in heat at the working components as well. This is really not the best way to go IMHO. Convert to 48 volts and leave the old 36v motor. That will increase torque!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
flag
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so i would need to get rid of the resitor and change it over to a controller and add 2 more 6v batteries
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The charger would work, it would charge the 42v pack to 36v and stop. There would be no benefit, and ALL of the batteries would be UNDER charged. It's little wonder he is out of business.
Gorno beats me to the answer - AGAIN

Flag - the same thing will happen if you try to charge the extra battery seperatley - It is still wired in series with the other 6, so the charger will only charge the 7 batteries to 36 volts, unless you MOVE the charger harness to 36 volts in series and final charge the last (or first) battery in the pack seperately. I'm only guessing here, so any sparkie experts feel free to chime in!!!

If you just want to "try" the system out the first time, then charge the 6 batteries you have, then add in a fully charged 7th battery and give it a test run. This will give you a realistic 'test' of your new configuration. If you like it, then you'll need to look into the correct way to charge all 7 batteries at once. There are 42 volt chargers available, however...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!