lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22E off-road build-"As Hooptmac Learns"

I will start my thread with a pre-picture. I hope to get started a little this weekend, but TS Cindy may delay me, as i do not have a garage to work in. (i also have a few other projects working)

What - a G22E 2002 cart; stock cart that my mother used to get to the garden and the mailbox.
Why - Its in my DNA.
Where - to use as a turkey hunting buggy on gravel roads and woods roads.
How - with your help!
Plans- a long travel, 22x10x10 tires, new controller or power upgrade
Rear seat, new paint job, new motor and cables, lights-head or bar.

Electric motors are not my specialty, as i can't find the cord to plug them in!

i like speed, but need torque. I have hills to climb!
As you can see, a little TLC is needed.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

HoopTmac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0684.jpg (208.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0685.jpg (211.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0686.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (211.2 KB, 0 views)
Hooptmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G22E off-road build-"As Hooptmac Learns"

i almost forgot to take the pre-pictures, but remembered as I was taking the roof off.
My mother had a bed on back, and a local handy-man transferred it to her new cart. I have a little patch work to do from that transfer and the cart needs little TLC.

The roof has a split in the front and a few cracks where it bolts to the mounts. i hope to clean and "glue" these spot with adhesive/caulking. I will cover the mounting struts with spray on bed liner at a later date.

The roof was "screwed" to the mounting frame with several different head screws, so i will get this as close to uniform, if not stock as i can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.jpg (200.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My Long Travel kit arrived. The shock mounting states inner and outer holes for soft or stiff rides and different height for the lift.

I plan to use the outer for stiffer ride. Their are 4 holes in he outer column. What lift height will the lowest position yield?

I want the cart level,rather than max height. I have 22" 10 x10 tires.

I guess I can guesstimate the rear drop and based on the bolt holes and measure the front to correspond.

Some installers have probably experienced this before. Do you usually max out the front? I was thinking maybe next to tallest lift??

Thanks for the recommendation!

HoopT
Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It has been quite a weekend! I installed the long travel lift. I needed a helping hand, but my help was busy visiting relatives and and at educational seminars! All I have to do is put the front hubs on and the front tires.

When i installed the rear tires, I was not able to tighten the lugs very well due to the wrench not able to fit in the lug hole. i have 12mm x 1.25 lugs. I see a deep socket for 1/2" lugs, but i do not see any this sockets for the Yamaha. What do most people do? Get longer lug nuts or is there a thin socket that works?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Is there a secret to presetting the camber and tow when before mounting the tires?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
CrazyDad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just did my Ezgo a few days ago, hopefully this applies to your cart too. On the lugs I found a spark plug socket has a thinner wall to keep from scratching my wheels and I wrapped a layer of blue tape over the socket just in case.

On the front lift I put the steering wheel in the straight forward position and lined up hubs with the frame rails running down the side of the cart. Went back and forth between both many times turning the bar between the tie rods. After I got the wheels on and on the ground I used a tape measure to finalize the tow.

In a few weeks I'll go back and level, adjust tow and re tighten everything.

Also the camber seems good right out of the box.
CrazyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
I just did my Ezgo a few days ago, hopefully this applies to your cart too. On the lugs I found a spark plug socket has a thinner wall to keep from scratching my wheels and I wrapped a layer of blue tape over the socket just in case.

On the front lift I put the steering wheel in the straight forward position and lined up hubs with the frame rails running down the side of the cart. Went back and forth between both many times turning the bar between the tie rods. After I got the wheels on and on the ground I used a tape measure to finalize the tow.

In a few weeks I'll go back and level, adjust tow and re tighten everything.

Also the camber seems good right out of the box.
Thanks, I found a socket. i realized after I wrote this that everyone uses impact or more modern equipment than lug wrenches! LOL.

I did similar on the alignment. I have it where I think i can adjust it within tolerance once I see what I need. The tape measure is next and then a check after riding.

I have to get it out of my wife's garage space. She is coming home mid-week.

HoopT
Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

After trial and tribulation, I have the lift in and I think is will be great! My original plans were to get my teenagers to help with the install, so they could learn to fit and bolt, but I had a great opportunity to get this done, while the rest of the family was out of town!

Being a pseudo shade tree mechanic, I realized how much i needed a shop and upgraded tools! My modern tools are closed end ratchet wrenches!

The teenagers will have to help with the rest of the project!

HoopT

I am already thinking of ideas for that front receiver hitch. I have one on my truck, but was unsure how to use one on the golf cart!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front close.jpg (170.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooptmac View Post
After trial and tribulation, I have the lift in and I think is will be great! My original plans were to get my teenagers to help with the install, so they could learn to fit and bolt, but I had a great opportunity to get this done, while the rest of the family was out of town!

Being a pseudo shade tree mechanic, I realized how much i needed a shop and upgraded tools! My modern tools are closed end ratchet wrenches!

The teenagers will have to help with the rest of the project!

HoopT

I am already thinking of ideas for that front receiver hitch. I have one on my truck, but was unsure how to use one on the golf cart!
Nice, now get some wheel spacers for the rears to even things out a bit (You'll be glad You did, on the G-series I usually go 2" per side) ... As to that front hitch, it comes in VERY handy for moving trailers, much easier to steer them "Pushing" instead of backing up, also a great spot for a winch, Harbor Freight and many other places sell winch mounts specially made to slide into a receiver (I have one, and I love it because I can pull the winch and not deal with the rattles when I'm not needing it IE trail riding on easy stuff, etc).

Also, if You're going to use bedliner on the Aluminum struts, make sure to scuff them up real good and use a wax/grease remover (such as Auto Body Shops use) to keep it from chipping off in a few months.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #10
Hooptmac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Nice, now get some wheel spacers for the rears to even things out a bit (You'll be glad You did, on the G-series I usually go 2" per side) ... As to that front hitch, it comes in VERY handy for moving trailers, much easier to steer them "Pushing" instead of backing up, also a great spot for a winch, Harbor Freight and many other places sell winch mounts specially made to slide into a receiver (I have one, and I love it because I can pull the winch and not deal with the rattles when I'm not needing it IE trail riding on easy stuff, etc).

Also, if You're going to use bedliner on the Aluminum struts, make sure to scuff them up real good and use a wax/grease remover (such as Auto Body Shops use) to keep it from chipping off in a few months.
Thanks, I was looking at the wheel spacing this morning and now I remember a thread about the spacers! Should have already ordered that!
I was thinking about the winch set-up. I have that configuration on my truck.
Another thought is getting a small receiver hitch carrier instead of a front basket and only using it as needed.

HoopTmac

Tags
g22, hooptmac, lifted carts, offroad, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts