lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Curtis 1205 Controller Max Voltage???

Now that I've completed my 84V Liithium/AC build, I am turning my attention back to my everyday golf cart.

I built this cart around 1998. At that time it was very trick and plenty fast. I used a 5.5 HP GE motor and a Curtis 1205-410 controller that was rated for 550 amps at 48 Volts.

Now that I have had a taste for speed, I want to do a lithium battery upgrade to this cart. Once again I am considering Nissan Leaf Batteries, but also thinking of using CALB batteries. So here is my question…(Sort of trying to do this upgrade on a semi budget) What is the maximum nominal voltage and charged voltage that I can get away with this controller? I want to stuff as many batteries in as the controller can handle. Thinking somewhere in the 48-60 Volt nominal range that would be somewhere in the 60-67 Volt range fully charged. If the controller blows up I guess I would be shopping for a new one, but wanted to get an idea anyhow.

Another option is to just chuck the Curtis and go 72 Volts, bu like I said, I'm trying to do this one on a budget. Your advice is appreciated.
ronncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis 1205 Controller Max Voltage???

Looking at the spec sheet for 1204/1205 controllers I don't see a 1205-410 listed, there is a 1204-410 though and it's a 275A controller. That would be stock replacement. If it is a 48v controller then I would say 60v is most likely it's maximum. 7 Leaf modules would yield 58.8v fully charged.

The Curtis 1205 is a series controller I am guessing. Alltrax does make a 72v series controller that accepts up to 90v maximum input. You could use 10 Leaf modules for it at 84v fully charged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1204-1205.jpg (70.4 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another note, some experts at buggies are only in the ezgo section and never look at Extreme DC forum here. Might want to consider moving it there?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Another note, some experts at buggies are only in the ezgo section and never look at Extreme DC forum here. Might want to consider moving it there?
Good call Sportcoupe. Even though it's a CC, I think I'll start a new thread in the EZGO Electrics section. Lots more talk about Lithium conversions than in the CC section
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Really it's a Curtis controller question. Very general.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have been in search of the same information as I wait for my battery pack to arrive...Sea mail is slow. Anyway, I sent emails and communications to anyone who did service on controllers. A nice gentleman who rebuilds Curtis controllers returned my message. He did some research and called me back in a few days. He indicated that while this is not published, his information said they would handle up to 72 volts.

I intend to put this to the test when my battery pack arrives in the next few weeks.
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneunder View Post
I have been in search of the same information as I wait for my battery pack to arrive...Sea mail is slow. Anyway, I sent emails and communications to anyone who did service on controllers. A nice gentleman who rebuilds Curtis controllers returned my message. He did some research and called me back in a few days. He indicated that while this is not published, his information said they would handle up to 72 volts.

I intend to put this to the test when my battery pack arrives in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the info...

Hmm... maybe an eighth Leaf module

Everything I'm installing should be easily modified to accept more Volts. Let me know how yours turns out
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Malisk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Has anyone tried this? Thinking about a 70v LTO pack.
I have a 1205 Controller rated for 500amp but unsure of the max voltage.
Malisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Most aftermarket 48v controllers are limited to 62v max.
In my 2013 TXT48 I ran the stock controller one time at 60v and many times at 58v without issue.

I upgraded my controller to Alltrax, not because the Curtis controller went bad, but because I needed more control to reprogram the accel, limit rpm, etc.

So I would be amazed if it worked more than once on 70v.

That's my guess.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I know, old thread... but did anyone ever test this? I just bought some lithium ion cells and id like to use them in the precompressed and wired up 15s configuration that would give me about 62v max. bought them for another lawnmower project but might use them in my cart if they work with the controller and use my lifepo4 pack in the lawnmower
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!